Regular Contributor

We are finally ready to get carpet for our recently finished basement. I have no idea what type of carpet to get. I have not purchased carpet since we built our house 15 years ago and at that time we got plush. We have since replaced alot of our plush carpet with hardwood and will replace the rest eventually.

A friend of mine recently carpeted her basement and used "California berber" which looks like a short shag. She said she did not use regular berber because it can snag and run. I don't want anything that is not easy to take care of since my basment needs to be teenager friendly. I want it to be nice, but not so nice that I have to worry about people using it and having food and drinks around.

Also, what do you advise as far as padding under the carpet. My friend did not get any, as she was concerned that it would be a problem if there is water damage, and with carpet you just dry the carpet out and padding has to be pulled up and replaced. My husband doesn't worry about that and wants padding anyway, for comfort and for warmth (we live in Michigan, so it gets COLD).

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated...as I usually say when asking you all for your knowledge!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}