Respected Contributor

These photos show the base camp being assembled for 500+ firefighters. They will have a self-sufficient community to meet the needs of those working to contain our forest fire here in Southern New Mexico. There appears to be a team managing the operations. We have been told they will be here for weeks. The fire is 0% containment.

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1436.jpeg

This is a dining area where meals will be prepared and served.

IMG_1439.jpeg

Handwashing facilities:

IMG_1442.jpeg

This is the check-in station for arriving firefighters.

IMG_1444.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Base Camp for Firefighters

@On It 

Wow!  The news of these fires is really scary.  I'll pray you, all the residents and firefighters stay safe and sound.❤️❤️❤️

Respected Contributor

I have the utmost respect for these first responders. It takes a certain kind to put themselves in the line of danger for the rest of us. We have firefighters go across country all the time to help; I don't know firsthand, but can't help to think they all jump at the chance. Thank you for this post.

Honored Contributor

Nearly all of NM is in a state of continued drought, some places more severe than others, but it's the whole state that's vulnerable and very dry. I'm in Colorado and we've just barely come out of a drought status but there are still a few areas in the southern area of the state which are still very dry. We are constantly under fire danger everywhere no matter what but not as bad as NM has it.

Esteemed Contributor

This is awful for this early in the season.  Stay safe.

This I don't know, but can they accept volunteers?  For things like serving out the food?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining I do not know if they accept volunteers. I will take note and reply if I find an answer. They seem to have a group that takes care of the firefighters. I even saw a search and rescue dog (a gorgeous German Shepherd) going through the check-in process. Access seems to be controlled.

The evacuation centers in Capitan rely heavily on volunteers. Caring for displaced large animals as well as people requires a lot of hands.

Respected Contributor

The number of personnel has increased to 643. The camp is continuing to grow. The high school which is not shown in the photos is accommodating the operations headquarters. 

Honored Contributor

@On It.  If your pictures were taken yesterday or today, I must say your air looks crystal clear compared to what we're experiencing today in the Albuquerque area.  I can only see an outline of the Sandia Mountains because of the bad smoke.  Air is terrible.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I live in California and know only to well the devastation these fires can have.  Prayers are going out to all in NM.  Don't know if other states have sent firefighters to assist but hope they do soon.

Super Contributor

Oh My Goodness! Bless them All!

We had an encampment of Firefighters last summer right in our small community for an out of control fire along Lake Whatcom in treacherous terrain here in Washington State. They were here for weeks and we were all so grateful.

Thank you for posting as it makes me even more grateful for the blessed rain that has been falling slow but steady this year. My heart goes out to all in harms way.