Super Contributor

fairly new to BFD. sizing makes me crazy and want to avoid returns, so I've so far stuck with ponchos with arms and 2 OS caftans. they say not to hang because they 'grow'. storing folded makes for lots of wrinkles. 

my question: do they grow much? do any of you use hangers? if they grow do they return to original shape when washed? 

putting this here as I looked at BFD forum and didn't find answers I was looking for. hoping someone will see this and respond. 

thank you1

Respected Contributor

Re: Barefoot Dreams: help plz

@knittykitty Most Barefoot Dreams items will stretch if hung the regular way.  I fold most of mine and store them in a drawer.  For the ones that I hang, I follow this tip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxw7d_vGSkc

Honored Contributor

@Linmo   just watched.  Thanks -   That fold will work for many tops/sweaters, not just BFDs.

@knittykitty   If you want to fold yours onto a shelf or into a drawer, try tissue.  I use that for other kinds of sweaters to ward off deep wrinkles.  Haven't tried it for BFD

Respected Contributor

@knittykitty  I think their sizing is a little on the small side.  For tops and cardigans, I always look at how tight the arms are on the models.  As for the pants, they tend to run really long so I have limited the amount that I purchase unless they are jogger or crop style.

As for sizing, in Isaac Mizrahi and Denim & Co, I get a XL and some L in Isaac's sweaters, but in BFD, I get a 1X. 

I have a closet full of Barefoot Dreams and have had no issues.  I usually get the cozychic lite or ultra light, as the plain cozychic is a little too thick for me.  You can get some great deals on QVC (be sure to check out the "special pricing" group under BFD since many are reduced), so happy shopping.

You can also find some great deals on BFD at NostromRack dot com. Limited sizes, but great deals!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I think their "size-up" policy should only be for people who are on the larger end of the size range.  Every time I follow their instructions and size up, the item is too big.  And believe me, I am a person who NEVER wears things snug fitting.

Honored Contributor

i generally buy larges on qvc.

in most BD items i purchase XL or in bridge sizing L/XL.....both on and off of qvc.

occasionally some items run a bit oversized, but not often, in my opinion.

i do hang mine.....they are just easier for me to see that way. have not had any issues with "growth."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

thank you for the link. will work for some things, probably not for the kind I have due to their shape. 

Super Contributor

good idea, thank you!

Super Contributor

good to know! someday I may try something other than OS or ponchos....LOL

Super Contributor

thank you! I think I did hang one of my coastal ponchos and saw no difference and they are a heavier material, so....maybe the growth issue is less a deal than I feared. if things get a bit longer, not an issue, just didn't want extra length result in narrowing of the body of the item. will experiment with hanging one of my caftans as I wear it pretty much everyday around the house. maybe it won't be on a hanger long enough to stretch!