Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Title of thread-Barbra Streisand. How this meant death? Stranger than fiction. However, Notice seeing treatment on threads rude to the point hurtful. Excuse me dinner date. Talk amongst yourselves.

@Sweet_Serenity,We have a few on here that just wait to be rude.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Speaking in complete sentences is A Good Thing.

@Moonchilde some thoughts are best not expressed.  As far as Babs, she has a powerful voice, but so did Ethel Merman.  I wonder if she could have won a TV singing contest, like The Voice or American Idol; if there was such a show back when she was young.

Frequent Contributor

I have always loved her singing; however, when she said over 16 years ago that she would move to Canada if a certain person was elected, I really lost all respect for her. 

Respected Contributor

completely underwhelmed, talent or no talent, and have always been so. jmho

Honored Contributor

I agree about the cults.  Someone very close to me was caught up in a cult once.  Finally after a few years she woke up and got out of it.  We all breathed a sigh of relief. Most people in cults don't think it is a cult and that's what makes it so sad.

I think it is ok to enjoy the talents of people we don't agree with. Many people in this world I don't respect as far as their lifestyle goes. I, however, can enjoy the talent they have.  An example would be some of the great stars who abused their children or movie stars who were alcoholics and wreaked havoc in their families....like Judy Garland, Whitney Houston (just off the top of my head) for two examples. I just randomly picked  these two women because they are 2 of my favorite singers, too. If we rule out people due to a lifestyle, I think we would miss out on some exceptional moments.  Just my take on this. 

Esteemed Contributor

My friend is an artist and did a beautiful portrait of Barbra; she absolutely adores the woman.  She attends every concert when she is in the Tri state area.  She managed to get backstage & presented her with the portrait and my friend is a serious talented artist.  The likeness was spot on...Well, Babs was rude and condescending....my friend still adores her; I don't.  When I was younger I loved her in Funny Girl & A Star IS Born but I outgrew her and rarely listen to her music unless I'm in an elevator.   I love all types of music but never became obsessed with any one person or group.  I don't think BS is exceptional but then again, I don't think any artist is....well, maybe if Elvis were still alive, he might be an exception.  

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

My friend is an artist and did a beautiful portrait of Barbra; she absolutely adores the woman.  She attends every concert when she is in the Tri state area.  She managed to get backstage & presented her with the portrait and my friend is a serious talented artist.  The likeness was spot on...Well, Babs was rude and condescending....my friend still adores her; I don't.  When I was younger I loved her in Funny Girl & A Star IS Born but I outgrew her and rarely listen to her music unless I'm in an elevator.   I love all types of music but never became obsessed with any one person or group.  I don't think BS is exceptional but then again, I don't think any artist is....well, maybe if Elvis were still alive, he might be an exception.  

*********  I feel sorry for your friend.  All that work she must have put into that portrait. Personality wise Barbara has never been a favorite of mine.  I do love most of her songs.  Now if you want the whole package....personality and song.....I'm thinking Celine Dion.  How could I have left her out!  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Barbra Streisand

[ Edited ]

I heard so many bad things about her....like how much of a diva she is....how badly she treats others "below" her.  I was turned off by this so I never developed an affection for her.

I've seen her interviewed twice....once time was at her house and both times I thought she sounded like a stuck up snob.  So very full of herself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have great respect for her talent and her wanting to make the world a better place.

I remember when the first time I saw her as a young girl I knew I loved her singing style. Always have always will.Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

edited because photo goes back to my account...