Respected Contributor

Barbara Bush in Failing Health

This from the Bush office:

“Following a recent series of hospitalizations, and after consulting her family and doctors, Mrs. Bush, now age 92, has decided not to seek additional medical treatment and will instead focus on comfort care. It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself — thanks to her abiding faith — but for others,” the statement reads.   

I didn't see medical details.   Prayers up for a wonderful First Lady and the family.

Honored Contributor

Re: Barbara Bush in Failing Health

[ Edited ]

I was just coming to post this @ms traditional.  I am so sorry to hear this.  Prayers for Mrs. Bush and the Bush family.

Respected Contributor

She is an amazing woman, I am sorry to hear this. Prayers.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe   thanks for the link which expands on her condition.  wow - she and Pres. Bush 41 have been married 73 years.  edited:  i see the link to CNN was deleted. it explained that she suffers from COPD and congestive heart failure, fyi.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saved her speech when she gave the commencement address at Wesley.

I have always admired her so much.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Of all the first ladies we've had in my lifetime I liked and admired Barbara Bush the most. I also liked 41 when he was president.

Honored Contributor

From CNN:

(CNN)Former first lady Barbara Bush is in failing health, a source close to the Bush family tells CNN.

At 92 years old, Bush has been suffering for some time and has been in and out of the hospital multiple times in the last year while battling with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, or COPD, and congestive heart failure.
The source said she is being cared for at her home in Houston and has decided she does not want to go back into the hospital.
The office of former President George H. W. Bush released a statement, confirming after a "recent series of hospitalizations," she has decided against seeking additional medical help.
"It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself — thanks to her abiding faith — but for others. She is surrounded by a family she adores, and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving," the statement continued.
The Bushes have been married for 73 years.
Bush is the only living wife of one former President and the mother of another former President.
Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional, thanks for posting.  I always liked her and felt that she had a strength about her that is rarely seen.  This could not have been an easy decision and I wish her peace in that decision.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@ms traditional, thanks for posting.  I always liked her and felt that she had a strength about her that is rarely seen.  This could not have been an easy decision and I wish her peace in that decision.

@SXMGirl  considering what spunk and grit that woman has shown us over the years, i am sure it was a difficult decision. may her days be filled with love and family.

Honored Contributor

Very sad to hear the news, but happy that she has made her decision, and has her family's support and presence at this time. 

I always loved her no nonsense kind of way of looking at the world, as well as her sense of humor. She has weathered a lot of stress, with so much of her family in political life over the years. It is not easy on a wife and mother to cope with all the events and trials her family has experienced. 

LIfe well lived, Mrs. Bush, prayers for comfort for both her and the entire family.