Respected Contributor

that reminds me I still have bars of soaps I can use if  I run out of the body washes and liquids

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@dulwichI heard one of the medical professionals say over the past week that unless you ate the only one using the bar, common usage is not as sanitary as the liquid soaps.

Also you need to use a soap dish with grooves for a bar of soap so the bar is raised up some, or else the soap will get "mushy" by sitting on a small puddle of water.

That's right, it's not.

I was taught (by RN in mid 1970s) to "wash the soap" before washing my hands with it, if using communal bar soap.

At home, I'd stand the bar soap on end on a folded paper towel to expose more surface area to the air = no mushy end.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  Yes DD had soap dishes with grooves that were stored in their beach house which DH went and dug out.

At present only 4 of us in house - DH and I are in the separate apartment attached to house and DD and SIL in main house - so we are quite ‘isolated’ and all have en suites - so no others using our soaps!  

Trusted Contributor

I've used Dove soap bars for 40 years now. My hubby doesn't like Dove, he likes Dial or another deoderant type soap bar. I do use liquid soap to wash hands at the sinks. I work in an assisted living facility and they put some Dial liquid soap by all the sinks in addition to the soap dispensers they had previously. I forgot how I liked the smell of the Dial! I really feel clean when I use it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Maybe because it was something different than you usually use.

I do think its nice to change things up sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Bar Soap! My lesson.

[ Edited ]

DH prefers bar soap so I always have it on hand. Right now, I think any soap that you use to thoroughly wash your hands, regardless of whether it is liquid or bar soap, will work. DH must use Cetaphil or other soaps that are pure and unscented. I use liquid soap at all the sinks..,I run a Clorox wipe over the pump handle on them periodically.I don't like the mess bar soap makes in the soap dish, even in one with grooves in it.

I just heard some drs offices are having to hide their sanitizing gels, soaps, wipes, gloves, masks, etc....patients are stealing them!  Come on, people!

Honored Contributor

You so often hear about what we should do for the earth from people who use bath gels!  LOL!!!!

Honored Contributor

I only use bar soap. 

For the past few years .... Kiss My Face olive oil soap.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bar Soap! My lesson.

[ Edited ]

I bought some silicone soap holders on Amazon that have a hook on one end, small drain holes at the bottom of the holder. I hook it on my shower head arm so DH’s bar soap doesn’t get water on it from the shower head. We put in a fancy new shower but the water goes directly on the soap holder build into the wall...bad design on my part. Check Amazon for them..them come in a set of three.

Respected Contributor

I started using Hand in Hand bar soap. Sillieme recomended it a while back. I really like it. Great lather. It is on QVC. Three good size bars for 15.00. Different scents. Also a company that gives back.