Respected Contributor

Banned from Amazon: The Shoppers Who Make Too Many Returns

[ Edited ]

I found this article interesting, especially the behaviors that would cause your account to be flagged.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/banned-from-amazon-the-shoppers-who-make-too-many-returns-1526981401

EDIT: I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had to be a subscriber to see the article. Try this one:

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-bans-people-too-many-returns-2018-5

It references the WSJ article.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

Re: Banned from Amazon: The Shoppers Who Make Too Many Returns

Unfortunately, we can't read it unless we're subscribers and sign in. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

I wonder how many items? I buy alot ftom Amazon, have returned two items.

Honored Contributor

It's an interesting article, thanks @JJsMom.  I think they should have some sort of notification system - like, "you're in danger of having your account canceled due to excessive returns," but otherwise I can't say I have a problem with it.  Many people abuse generous retailers.  Many people get refunds on things they know they should not.  It ends up costing everyone more.  So if Amazon chooses to crack down, good for them.

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Unfortunately, we can't read it unless we're subscribers and sign in. 

I provided another link that references the WSJ article. Sorry about that.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

It's an interesting article, thanks @JJsMom.  I think they should have some sort of notification system - like, "you're in danger of having your account canceled due to excessive returns," but otherwise I can't say I have a problem with it.  Many people abuse generous retailers.  Many people get refunds on things they know they should not.  It ends up costing everyone more.  So if Amazon chooses to crack down, good for them.

Yes, it would be nice to get a warning. I'd be lost without Amazon! lol

I rarely return mail order items (I'm too lazy), so I don't think I'm in danger of receiving the notice, but the article says you can be flagged for choosing an unusual reason for a return too.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't return things to Amazon very often, although I order from them every week.  I have worried about getting banned from ordering from Loft.  I always order two sizes and return one.  I wear two sizes in their clothes and usually can't even tell from the reviews which size I should order.  I wonder if all retailers have a policy like this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I didn't read the article but it makes sense.  It's the Looy Lou's who make constant habit of buying things and then returning them.  They buy on impulse and then they return most of what they buy.  I'm a huge Amazon shopper and I think I've returned 3 things in the past 3 years.  I'm careful about what I buy and who I buy it from.

Honored Contributor

I’ve been shopping at Amazon for years and years. I order from them all the time. Tons of orders. 

I think I’ve only ever returned two items in all those years. One was a purse just a few months ago.  It had a huge scratch across the bag. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

The only thing I have ever had to return to Amazon was from a third party seller, which often times is hit or miss. I ordered a pair of shoes that obviously were a return and looked previously worn.