Honored Contributor

Re: Banks/debit card signatures as Credit Cards won't be acknowledged soon ...

The only way I use my Debit Card is at an ATM for cash/deposit.

I would never, ever use a debit-as-credit card at the point of sale.

I like having a big ole digital moat around my Checking Account.

“YOU SHALL NOT PASS” (LOTR)

No one is allowed in but me. 

Esteemed Contributor

In AZ signatures are no longer necessary for credit or debit purchases (all cards have chips).  I for one am glad as I have a long Polish last name and it is difficult, if not impossible to write a reasonable facsimile of my signature on the card reader screen.

Honored Contributor

I occasionally use my bank debit card as a credit and I always thought, it depended on the retailer.  Sometimes, it goes through without a pin number but sometimes, I have to give the pin number.  Either way, it doesn't matter to me.  Why would it?

Honored Contributor

We don't even own a debit card!

Never wanted to have to remember to deduct it from the checking account when I got home.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  I don't want this to sound rude, because it is NOT my intent. If you read the thread, you'll see why. For many of us, it's because, used as a DEBIT....we are charged fees. Lots of fees. And those fees add up depending on how often you use your card. And yes, other banks I've banked also charged those fees as well as the vendors.

Based on what I've read in this thread, it appears that there is quite a difference depending on the state you live in when it comes to the use of your debit card  as well as when you use your debit card as a credit card (where using your PIN is not necessary).

Honored Contributor

just called my bank (which a major U.S. Bank all over country. 

they have not heard of this new rule. 

so not sure what to believe right now.

Trusted Contributor

My bank told me nothing, but my grocery store now requires a pin for a debit card used as a credit card,

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

just called my bank (which a major U.S. Bank all over country. 

they have not heard of this new rule. 

so not sure what to believe right now.

Believe your bank....lol 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

After having fraud done with our debit card last month..... we started using a credit card instead of using the debit card for everything we buy. No more debit card unless we go the the bank to make a withdrawal.  It works out the same. I pay the credit card off at the end of the month... same money spent PLUS I AM GETTING POINTS  for using the card that I trade in for free gift cards!  

I recomend that everyone start doing this and stop using your debit card.   To much risk of losing all your money.  With the credit card it is THEIR MONEY. 

@SeaMaiden. My account is with Bank of America and they treat debit cards exactly like credit cards.  They cover any type of fraudulent activity.  I've had a couple of instances of this and they immediately refunded my money.

This is what my local bank does, and there are no fees whatsoever, anywhere for using that card.  It is also my ATM card.  The little grocery store where I shop asks "credit" or "debit" when you use the card.  

Honored Contributor

Also, I have always been told at my bank that it is covered for fraud and there is no difference to them whether you use it as debit or credit.