Honored Contributor

Re: Banks/debit cards/signatures not acknowledge soon so can't use them now....

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

Hadn't heard about it and apparently, others haven't as well.

You guys need to get out more (away from Q's forums.) whistling.gif

In MY situation, the fees can come from ANY vendor but DEFINITELY ATM's that are not my banks'. No bank I've banked with allows you to use your debit card (PIN) without getting charged for it. Again, wondering if this is a state thing.

It's both...State &/or banking policies.  I was told by a teller that NJ lets the banks use their own descretion if they want to charge or not outside their network.

My Bank (Fulton) does not charge ATM fees outside of theirs because they are very small.  Initially, if you were under age 50, you were charged.  Then when Fulton took over, the fees were dropped for all of their clients.

For clients ages 50+, there are no fees for anything!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I never use my debit card for making a purchase.  I only ever use a credit card.  My debit card is for getting out some cash.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  Both of my cards have chips. Most everywhere I shop accepts chips now except Aldi's but I still use the same card w/pin.

As I said before I've never shopped anywhere used my debit as credit and not needed to enter my pin.

We've also not been notified in writing from our bank, nor have I seen anything on their site but I will pay much more attention to see if they did post notice and I missed seeing it.

@SahmIam

Honored Contributor

Re: Banks/debit card signatures as Credit Cards won't be acknowledged soon ...

@SeaMaiden wrote:

After having fraud done with our debit card last month..... we started using a credit card instead of using the debit card for everything we buy. No more debit card unless we go the the bank to make a withdrawal.  It works out the same. I pay the credit card off at the end of the month... same money spent PLUS I AM GETTING POINTS  for using the card that I trade in for free gift cards!  

I recomend that everyone start doing this and stop using your debit card.   To much risk of losing all your money.  With the credit card it is THEIR MONEY. 

@SeaMaiden . Exactly!  Using a credit card is less risky and much easier.  Just pay it off each month!

Honored Contributor

I do not have , nor do I want a debit card. My MAC card says debit and visa on it , but we turned down those services so it works as a MAC card only.I don't want multiple places to have access to all our bank accounts. 

Honored Contributor

as an owner of a small business, i will say that we prefer customers NOT to use their cards as a debit card. it costs us more in merchant fees. we also prefer customers NOT to use american express cards.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, I used my debit card with a chip, at my grocery store with no pin, no problem...... (my bank does withdraw it immediately) 

The grocery store is the only place I use my debit card other than at the bank itself or an ATM.  I use cash or a credit card for all other purchases.  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  THBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBT!

You're probably right. Or, at least, listen to the nightly news instead of bits and pieces I get while driving, lol.

Honored Contributor

I just shopped at Walmart yesterday and used my debit card as a credit card.  My card has a chip. I stuck it in the machine and when it brought up everything on the first screen, there is an "other" button you choose to change the transaction from a debit to a credit.

Most machines automatically want to do debit and you have to change it to credit by either pressing an arrow or a cancel button.  Or some machines will ask if you want US Visa or Debit Visa.

I have never, ever used my debit card as anything other than a credit card.  Depending on the dollar amount, sometimes I have to sign and sometimes I don't.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  THANK YOU for describing how the transaction works in detail. This is EXACTLY what I go through when shopping as well. 

That is why it was so odd when I was told you MUST use your PIN; there is NO option for anything else when using your debit card; same with my husband and his friends, in-laws, etc. It's ALWAYS been what you described.....until now.