Honored Contributor

Re: Banks/debit cards/signatures not acknowledge soon so can't use them now....

@SahmIam wrote:

@sunshine45 Yes and yes.

Every person I spoke to (and the guys with my husband) all have chips in their cards and all the machines have chip readers (this is the law now, I believe). That's what made it stand out...none of us EVER had an issue with it before. We don't use CC's; we use our debit cards AS CC's.

actually, it is not really the law......but merchants can be held responsible for fraudulent charges that arise from swiping a card rather than using its chip feature.

https://www.lendgenius.com/blog/small-business-emv-compliance/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Banks/debit card signatures as Credit Cards won't be acknowledged soon ...

I used my bank debit card yesterday and it went through as credit. I did not have to enter a PIN, just signed the receipt, but come to think about it, the account is with a credit union, maybe that's why. 

I know when we use our Target RedCard, that requires a PIN at all times now and that's a regular credit card.  

Will have to be more aware of this in the coming days when using my 'ATM' card as a credit card.

Helen852
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I edited the topic title so it made more sense.

@Cakers3 Thank you. I'm not going crazy, lol. 

It appears that, like chip readers, it's in effect but NOT everyone is doing it yet.

Considering I use my debit card, like you, as a CC 99% of the time to avoid the FEES as well as to get the bonus points, this STINKS.

One more way for banks to make money and the customers lose out.

@SahmIam  Same here-we would have to press the green key arrow (or whatever) to indicate that this is a charge, not a debit., so no fees.

But the fee issue was dropped a while back; and our bank cards now are strictly charge and that happened when the "chip" card replaced our old cards.

I think the only advantage for debit was if you needed cash back. 

Honestly we so seldom use cards I'm trying to back track to the old days when we used them more often. LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I only use my debit card as a credit card when I do food shopping.  I refuse to use my regular credit doing this.  At least not for food. I rarely use my debit card on the debit side for a pin during a purchase at a store.  Only time I use the debit pin is at the ATM machine.  I hope this does not change.  So far I have not heard about this. I'll ask my bank about this.

@songbird  That's another issue now that I think about it.  The debit card always gave the option of getting some cash back.  I think that was the big difference.

Our bank card is a "credit card" but it takes the $$ right out of our account.  In other words, it doesn't work like other credit cards where you get a monthly bill.

Just like a debit card would take the $$ right away but you get the fees with debit cards.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I only use my debit card as a credit card when I do food shopping.  I refuse to use my regular credit doing this.  At least not for food. I rarely use my debit card on the debit side for a pin during a purchase at a store.  Only time I use the debit pin is at the ATM machine.  I hope this does not change.  So far I have not heard about this. I'll ask my bank about this.

@songbird  That's another issue now that I think about it.  The debit card always gave the option of getting some cash back.  I think that was the big difference.

Our bank card is a "credit card" but it takes the $$ right out of our account.  In other words, it doesn't work like other credit cards where you get a monthly bill.

Just like a debit card would take the $$ right away but you get the fees with debit cards.

You might get an extra charge when you want money back (using a PIN) at a store while buying something.  But that's individual stores hookup with networks.  And if you ask, they might tell you about a additional fee.  But as of right know and the foreseeable future, while using the debit card as a credit, the amount comes out of your checking account almost immediately (but as a "hold")  In the next day or so, it will drop down and debit your checking account. I spoke to my bank.  They told me they never heard of this and assured me that the use of debit cards as credit will continue and will always be free.   It's up to the individual store if they want a signature.  Usually it's the amount of the purchase that factors that. 

Honored Contributor

After having fraud done with our debit card last month..... we started using a credit card instead of using the debit card for everything we buy. No more debit card unless we go the the bank to make a withdrawal.  It works out the same. I pay the credit card off at the end of the month... same money spent PLUS I AM GETTING POINTS  for using the card that I trade in for free gift cards!  

I recomend that everyone start doing this and stop using your debit card.   To much risk of losing all your money.  With the credit card it is THEIR MONEY. 

Respected Contributor

I was notified by my banks that my old card could not be used because it had to be swiped and didnt have a chip in it.  I just had to order cards with the chip.  No problem now.

Honored Contributor

The newer debit cards with the chips don't even give you the choice of credit or debit.  It's automatically debit and you must use you PIN.  I just came from Albertsons where I used my debit card.  That's the way it worked.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  VERY interesting; thank you.

So, the merchant makes this choice. Putting a sign up so you know this ahead of time would be helpful, that's for sure.

My bank takes the money out immediately whether my card is used as a debit or as a credit card but DOES charge fees unless I'm using THEIR ATM to withdrawal cash. Those fees add up to a LOT and very quickly if you put everything on your card (which saves me from carrying cash. I don't use a CC unless a true emergency).

That said, the banks are still passing the buck but this time, to the merchants in the event of fraud. Can you imagine the nightmare of trying to reach a corporate office of any business involving fraud? Customer nightmare because just dealing with the BANK is a PITA.

Lovely.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Not true. In the past 2 days I've used my debit card as a CC at:

Walmart

Costco

Aldie's

Giant 

Giant Pharmacy

Exxon

Chick Fil A

Trader Joe's

Yes, I have a chip. No, no PIN number entered for any purchase.