Honored Contributor

Re: Bank steps up to help furloughed workers

@Carmie wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21  This story is difficult for me to believe.  Federal workers have pretty good insurance for RX drugs and medical expenses.  They have a few options to choose from.

It is hard for me to believe that a diabetic person should choose a plan with a high RX copay.  I have NEVER seen a $300 copay.  The max I have seen is $200 for a non preferred speciality drug under the FEP standard program.

I wonder if this is some kind of experimental insulin.  Could be a true story, but I'd want to see proof.  Something doesn't sound right.

From what I have read, their health insurance will not cancel even if they are not being paid.

Well, I have seen plenty of $300 co-pays in fact insulin co-pays are through the roof @Carmie. Most diabetics are both on short acting insulin and basal insulin so they need both kinds to stay alive. When I used to pick up my Novolog for 3 months the co-pay was $400.00 and we had the Cadillac plan with my husband's insurance plan. My Levemir was also about the same so I most definitely believe that this woman is rationing her insulin. Type 1 diabetics can go over 600 blood sugars and end up in ketoacidosis within hours if they ration insulin.

Novo-Nordisk has a great way of getting insulin for two years for just $25 a prescription. I just found this out recently and for a 3 month supply of 6 boxes of Novolog I paid $75.00. I hope anyone reading this can apply for the discount card for both Levemir and Novolog.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21  This story is difficult for me to believe.  Federal workers have pretty good insurance for RX drugs and medical expenses.  They have a few options to choose from.

It is hard for me to believe that a diabetic person should choose a plan with a high RX copay.  I have NEVER seen a $300 copay.  The max I have seen is $200 for a non preferred speciality drug under the FEP standard program.

I wonder if this is some kind of experimental insulin.  Could be a true story, but I'd want to see proof.  Something doesn't sound right.

From what I have read, their health insurance will not cancel even if they are not being paid.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/01/11/683770812/most-federal-workers-health-coverage-...

Most federal workers' insurance will continue to be covered.  However, a lot of contractors working for the government may not be so fortunate.  It's complicated and some even pay for their own medical insurance.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Just got a message from Wells Fargo that they are forgiving all fees and charges on all of their accounts (includes mortgages, loans, credit cards etc) for up to 90 days for all customers affected by furlough.  What a way to build customer loyalty (I hope many institutions will follow suit).  We are retired Federal employees so emphasize.

Wow thanks for posting this.  This is positive and pleasant news.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/01/11/683770812/most-federal-workers-health-coverage-...

Most federal workers' insurance will continue to be covered.  However, a lot of contractors working for the government may not be so fortunate.  It's complicated and some even pay for their own medical insurance.  

All Federal workers pay for their insurance.  It is not free.  They will still be covered even though there is a shut down.

I know many people have different insurance plans.  I have never seen a FEP insurance plan that has a $300 copay for RX drugs, including insulin. Others might.  I am only referring to Federal employees and their plans.

Yes, it could be a contractor.  If so, they should apply for unemployment benefits.  Every little bit helps.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Well, I have seen plenty of $300 co-pays in fact insulin co-pays are through the roof @Carmie. Most diabetics are both on short acting insulin and basal insulin so they need both kinds to stay alive. When I used to pick up my Novolog for 3 months the co-pay was $400.00 and we had the Cadillac plan with my husband's insurance plan. My Levemir was also about the same so I most definitely believe that this woman is rationing her insulin. Type 1 diabetics can go over 600 blood sugars and end up in ketoacidosis within hours if they ration insulin.

Novo-Nordisk has a great way of getting insulin for two years for just $25 a prescription. I just found this out recently and for a 3 month supply of 6 boxes of Novolog I paid $75.00. I hope anyone reading this can apply for the discount card for both Levemir and Novolog.

I have seen $300 copays, but not for Federal employees,  Apples and Oranges between insurance programs.  Federal employees have pretty good insurance.

They do pay for it though.  It is not free.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

All Federal workers pay for their insurance.  It is not free.  They will still be covered even though there is a shut down.

I know many people have different insurance plans.  I have never seen a FEP insurance plan that has a $300 copay for RX drugs, including insulin. Others might.  I am only referring to Federal employees and their plans.

Yes, it could be a contractor.  If so, they should apply for unemployment benefits.  Every little bit helps.

And how does that help?  I admit I don't know the ins and outs of what happens if an employee (contractor) applies for unemployment insurance, what happens to their medical coverage?  Do they have to apply for COBRA?  If so, how do they pay those steep prices with no income?

No person who is working should have to do so without a salary...plain and simple.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Well I'm not going to call the woman a liar. This is what she said. I do know that the cost of insulin has skyrocketed. For drug company profit. Where I live there was a protest against a drug company a few months back, a company that makes insulin. People brought the ashes of their deceased loved ones who had died as a direct result of rationing their insulin.

I don't judge anyone's situation. People have their own financial situations and struggles and deal with things that others can't comprehend. 

Right now there are plenty of federal workers who can't even afford food. Disgraceful.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@patbz,

Thanks for posting some good news!

http://media.istockphoto.com/photos/gold-foil-happy-thursday-message-picture-id517233424

Honored Contributor

The trickle down, or trickle across effect of the shutdown is devastating.  Federal workers who have to go in and don't get paid -- who pays their babysitters so they can get to work?  Transit or gas bills, kids school supplies?  Many take care of their elderly parents.  Those not in the office, never asked to be pawns, this is no vacation for them. 

I was furloughed twice.  It's absolutely horrible!!  Thank the Lord this time, my agency got a budget early on.  But I deal with lots of contractors that are small businesses working with several agencies.  They also have contracts with agencies that are shutdown, so they don't have that work now.  They are not getting paid.  They had to let go employees.  We contract first with small businesses, women-owned and veteran-owned businesses.  These are the people losing out as well.  There is no guarantee that they will continue those contracts because agencies have the right to cancel them.

That 800,000 number is a drop in the bucket of how many are actually horribly impacted.

Honored Contributor

I wish landlords and more mortgage companies would do this too.  I feel bad for the furloughed workers.