Esteemed Contributor

Bank steps up to help furloughed workers

Just got a message from Wells Fargo that they are forgiving all fees and charges on all of their accounts (includes mortgages, loans, credit cards etc) for up to 90 days for all customers affected by furlough.  What a way to build customer loyalty (I hope many institutions will follow suit).  We are retired Federal employees so emphasize.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bank steps up to help furloughed workers

There are businesses who are giving the furloughed workers some breaks. Nice of them to do this 

Honored Contributor

My spouse & I were talking about this at dinner.  My relatives are secret service & live in Washington (big expenses) and are working without pay.  I mentioned if the banks were helping / working with the federal employees during this time.

He said banks, mortgage lenders, cc, etc. better if they don't want backlash.  I'm happy to see your post about WF that's the right thing to do!

Honored Contributor

My daughter is on furlough.  Some of the local restaurants offer free meals if a federal ID is shown.  

Shes also been able to do some work related projects at the university of Maryland, since she isn’t allowed to go to her government job.  Can’t even go on the property or check her email.  

Honored Contributor

I am glad Wells Fargo stepped up to the plate.  They got a 25 billion bailout from the Federal Government about 10 years ago.

They owe all of us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Saw a woman on tv who is a furloughed worker. She's diabetic and rationing her insulin because she can't afford the $300 copay. Other people are doing that all over the country because of the cost of insulin, that's a whole other discussion. 

This woman has medical bills from recent health issues. She stopped using her insulin pump sometimes in order to ration and her blood sugar went up to almost 600. She didn't even tell her husband about the rationing or her reading so she never went to the hospital. She said she just prayed she would wake up. She couldn't afford to add an ambulance bill to her unpaid mounting bills.

Some people from an online diabetes community sent her some of their insulin. It's beyond heartbreaking and outrageous, this should not be happening.  

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  This story is difficult for me to believe.  Federal workers have pretty good insurance for RX drugs and medical expenses.  They have a few options to choose from.

It is hard for me to believe that a diabetic person should choose a plan with a high RX copay.  I have NEVER seen a $300 copay.  The max I have seen is $200 for a non preferred speciality drug under the FEP standard program.

I wonder if this is some kind of experimental insulin.  Could be a true story, but I'd want to see proof.  Something doesn't sound right.

From what I have read, their health insurance will not cancel even if they are not being paid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

maryland has a very large number of furloughed workers AND contracted workers who are also affected.

banks in our area are stepping up and have contact numbers on their homepages.

a number of restaurants are giving free lunches with government photo ids.

some neighborhoods, churches, organizations are arranging potlucks to help those affected.

some local businesses are hiring furloughed individuals part time to help them out.

good to see people coming together to help others.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

She could be a contractor.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The cost of insulin from various articles I have read has skyrocketed in recent years.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼