Honored Contributor

Re: Bank steps up to help furloughed workers

@Carmie

It is January there are plans that have a deductible the person might of misspoken.

@Carmie wrote:

@kdgn wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have seen $300 copays, but not for Federal employees,  Apples and Oranges between insurance programs.  Federal employees have pretty good insurance.

They do pay for it though.  It is not free.

I know a furloughed federal employee and this person does have good insurance but there is a medication taken that is a $300 copay per month. 

It's not apples and oranges. 

Does this employee have high or the standard option?   Let me know so that I can double check the benefits for that plan.  

I know both plans well, and I have never seen a $300 copay for any one drug on any tier.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Here we go again!!!!!! Blaming the workers for being furloughed and measuring their lives by ours! UNBELIEVABLE!

I have gone without a paycheck for months a few times in my life...with three small kids.  A phone call to my creditors stalled everything.  To add insult to injury, when the paycheck started again, there was no back pay.  We had to work really hard to catch up on months of bills.

@Carmie

So you weren’t working at all during those 3 months?

Were your kids in daycare?

We were not working...long story.  Short version...my DH got fired because his boss wanted to use our house while were on vacation. He was a friend. His was damaged in a flood.  I said no.  Tried to get unemployment..was denied.  The appeal was denied too.

My DH finally got a new job and had to work three weeks before he was paid.  They withheld two weeks pay.  So, he got paid for one week. He gave me cash to go grocery shopping from that first check.  I lost the cash somewhere. It was really bad.

My kids were in school...never in daycare.  We ate a ton of macaroni, with beans and tomato juice...kinda soupy mixture.

We were young....in our mid 20's.  No savings, but I had staple food in the cupboard and a big jar of coins and a cc with a $300 limit.

That story is very unfortunate but think of it this way....

Pretend like,

....your husband got fired, payroll stopped.

BUT...instead of leaving & turning in his keys,

he was still required to come in to work every day w/ no pay. 

At least your husband was released to look for another job.

Furloughed Workers, who are working, don’t have that luxury.

For some, it might not be a financial issue, but a time issue. 

So to pay their bills, they might have to,

quit a job they love,

quit teammates who are fun to work with &

quit a manager who was an amazing mentor for their young career. 

All that to pay the mortgage & for total unjust cause. 

Honored Contributor

Personal responsibility also includes continuing to show up for a full-time job, day in, day out - without pay coming in, without even a hint of when pay/back pay will be coming in.  WIth bills piling up.  Of course some bills can be deferred but other expenses cannot - like childcare (very expensive) while they continue to work, gasoline to drive, or commuting costs.

Some keep saying "but they just missed one paycheck."  Feds get paid every 2 weeks (so it is substantial).  And these days I would think that many people pay bills twice a month, as more creditors allow flexible payment dates.  It's been that way for at least ten years at that I can recall.

Valued Contributor

President Trump signed a bill to assure back pay to furloughed federal employees on Wednesday. (Marlene Awaad/Bloomberg)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back pay and current pay are two different things.  Back pay will not be given out until the Federal Worker go back to work.  They need their salaries now, not in the future!  It is not a kindness to be paid as a worker it is a right!

Honored Contributor

@masque wrote:

President Trump signed a bill to assure back pay to furloughed federal employees on Wednesday. (Marlene Awaad/Bloomberg)

Is this the protocol for past governmental shutdowns?

Signing a Bill to ensure back pay?

If not, wonder if there was speculation they WOULDN’T get back pay...

and there was a strong arm to get a bill in place...?

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom  Yes, it is the protocol!  Government contractors do not receive back pay.

Honored Contributor

Those who have the absolute GALL to sit back and judge those whose circumstances are difficult, if not dire, make me sick to my stomach, quite frankly.

Do these critics, these paragons of virtue, have any idea how obnoxious they sound?

Guess their parents never taught them, "Walk a mile in another man's shoes".

It's despicable, their self righteousness, and  puffed up tales of how they made soup from shoe leather when THEY were out of work.  How THEY are so much better than those they see on food lines on T.V.

Ugh.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Those who have the absolute GALL to sit back and judge those whose circumstances are difficult, if not dire, make me sick to my stomach, quite frankly.

Do these critics, these paragons of virtue, have any idea how obnoxious they sound?

It's despicable, their self righteousness, and  puffed up tales of how they made soup from shoe leather when THEY were out of work.  How THEY are so much better than those they see on food lines on T.V.

Ugh.

^ this X 1000.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Ugh.

Thank you @QueenDanceALot.

You said perfectly what I was having trouble articulating.