Honored Contributor

Re: Bank card compromise

[ Edited ]

My debit card was compromised some time ago and I had asked my bank who had done it. The bank told me that since it was considered a criminal act, all information surrounding the case was to remain under wraps until law enforcement officials released their findings to the bank and consequently to the public. @Bri36

Respected Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

Be careful.  I wouldn't automatically trust bank notifications by e-mail.  I hope you called your bank on a phone number you know is their actual phone number.  I hope you didn't call a phone number on the e-mail.

omigosh, I hope so too.  I hope OP specifically signed up for email alerts. Otherwise, Id be very worried about this sort of thing. I hope she didn't have to give her address or confirm any information or anything like that unless she called a known number for the bank/credit card ( that was not given in the email itself)

@Anita Hug - I would never call a number on an email I was suspicious of.

Respected Contributor

No wonder you don't hear about these compromises until months after it happens...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I learned of the breaches from my bank by mail that would informed me that my new card(s) would be mailed shortly and that my present cards would no longer would be active. Only once did they inform me of which store it was and that was TJ Maxx as I mentioned before.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Curious why they wouldn't tell you who it was 

@Bri36  I've had this happen twice in the past year.  I no sooner get a number memorized when they cancel it.  They wouldn't tell me either.  The first time, I knew it was Wendy's because I read about it and knew my local one was one of those hacked. 

When I asked for the merchants name, I got the feeling if I raised a ruckus, I could get the info from their fraud division (Bank of America.).  I really didn't care. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Every 6 months someone tries to buy something on my cc. My husband checks the charges nightly and always catches them if the company doesn't catch them first. I know it's happening online. So sick of these thieves. My husband always wants to press charges but the cc company never does anything but remove the charge. 

Honored Contributor

Many of the crooks are never caught because the cc companies and banks can't track them. It's as if the crooks are invisible and they usually hack into a retail establishment to steal money from the customers there. Retailers are constantly looking for ways to secure their electronic transactions but seems there will always be criminals one step ahead of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About two weeks ago my Bank  Of America Visa card was compromised and they sent a letter  and a new card to follow a few days later. 

Trusted Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Got an email from my bank that my bank card could be compromised - called bank - evidently a "large retailer" has just advised them they have had their system compromised.  They wouldn't say who but said it could be on the news.  So keep an eye on your bank account.  They are issuing a new card shortly. 

@hoosieroriginal~~~The exact same thing happened with my CC last month. I was told the the card had been compromised, but they refused to name the retailer. 

I could only speculate as to who it was. They over nighted my new card to me, but there are still hoops to be jumped through to get things back to normal. 

Regular Contributor

I can't imagine a bank notifying customers by email.  That's just sounds strange to me.  It never happened to me but when T J Maxx had that incident, my sisters bank notified her by cerfified mail and they gave her a new credit card.  I think they said T J Maxx but I'm not really sure about that.  I'd be really mad at my bank if they just said "watch your account' and left me hanging in the wind.