Respected Contributor

Re: Ban to be lifted on import of trophy elephants

@Maudlynn wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Our society has become cruel.I wonder why? 

Our choices have consequences!!

@NicksmomESQ

Look around you ... innocent human life has become devalued at both the beginning and end of life; genocide is ignored.

You expect animals to be treated any better?

You're right ... "choices" have consequences.  It's called the "law of unintended consequences."

I think what we expect is for TPTB to concentrate on those items that benefit us all.  The lifting of this ban only benefits the few numbskulls out there who think it's fun (and can afford) to kill elephants and import their carcasses to the US for whatever reason.  Yet we can't have a law that prevents mentally ill people from legally buying a gun.

@Maudlynn priorities doncha know...Cat Sad 

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Our society has become cruel.I wonder why? 

Our choices have consequences!!

I can tell you why....but it would be poofed. I'm beyond disgusted. This hurts my heart.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

This just hurts my heart.  I wish these animals could fight back.  Some people just have too much money and no decency.  I pray everyday for change. 

Honored Contributor

"

Savanna elephant populations declined by 30 percent across 18 countries in Africa from 2007 to 2014, according to the Great Elephant Census published last year, which put their remaining numbers at just over 350,000.

The elephant population declined 6 percent overall in Zimbabwe but dropped by 74 percent within one specific region. Elephants saw "substantial declines along the Zambezi River," in Zambia while other areas of that country were stable, according to the census.

The ban was originally imposed because Zimbabwe, one of the most corrupt nations on Earth, could not show that its management of elephants enhanced the elephant population, nor could they demonstrate any ability to implement or enforce laws designed to protect that population. However the regime did enjoy the influx of cash from “hunting advocacy organizations" shuttling in wealthy Americans eager to “hunt" endangered species and bring their severed body parts home to impress their friends and neighbors:

“It’s a venal and nefarious pay-to-slay arrangement that Zimbabwe has set up with the trophy hunting industry,” said Wayne Pacelle, president and chief executive of the Humane Society."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't read anything re: elephants.  Too heartbreaking (for me).   They seem so pre-historic, as far as I'm concerned.   Anyway, whatever (legal) that we can do to protest this lifting of the ban, please do so.  Find the appropriate gov. agencies and sign proper petitions, etc.   Even write to you know who.  His office might not even know about this ridiculous lifting of the ban.  Write, email, call, do whatever (legal and ethical) you can to make this an important issue.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

This is so horrible, I've literally felt sick since I heard about it this morning.  Smiley Sad

How bad is this going to get?  Nope - I guess I don't even want to know.

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I can't read anything re: elephants.  Too heartbreaking (for me).   They seem so pre-historic, as far as I'm concerned.   Anyway, whatever (legal) that we can do to protest this lifting of the ban, please do so.  Find the appropriate gov. agencies and sign proper petitions, etc.   Even write to you know who.  His office might not even know about this ridiculous lifting of the ban.  Write, email, call, do whatever (legal and ethical) you can to make this an important issue.  

oh, he knows.

Honored Contributor

Write those letters today.  Time to put the pressure on.   Write to others in DC.  Go down the line, so to speak.  Maybe one will sit down and at least try to reverse the lifting. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Let's all hope that the new powers that be in Zimbabwe doesn't let this happen!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

After reading this he burned me once, but he won't burn me twice. 

@Blingqueen023 That belongs on a bumper sticker! Smiley Happy