Regular Contributor

Ban to be lifted on import of trophy elephants

Hunted and killed in Africa, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The ban on bringing these "trophies" to the U.S. was instituted in 2014.

Who does this benefit? Certainly not the animals.  So wrong on many levels, imo.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ban to be lifted on import of trophy elephants

Dear Lord, this is so wrong.😿  There is so much good that can be done, and much time is spent on approving things that are hurtful.  I think some people just want no laws at all.  😿

Honored Contributor

more information via abc news (cannot post the link due to sidebars and other political references.)

The administration plans to allow hunters to import trophies of elephants they killed in Zimbabwe and Zambia back to the United States, reversing a ban put in place by the previous administration in 2014, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service official confirmed to ABC News today.

Even though elephants are listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act, a provision in the act allows the government to give permits to import these trophies if there is evidence that the hunting actually benefits conservation for that species. The official said they have new information from officials in Zimbabwe and Zambia to support reversing the ban to allow trophy hunting permits.

"Legal, well-regulated sport hunting as part of a sound management program can benefit the conservation of certain species by providing incentives to local communities to conserve the species and by putting much-needed revenue back into conservation," a Fish and Wildlife spokesperson said in a statement.

This change only applies to elephants in those two countries but questions about using game hunting to generate money for conservation efforts also came up during the controversy after Cecil the lion was killed in Zimbabwe in 2015.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Well I guess all those "brave" big game hunters will be thrilled to hear that.  So sad.

Respected Contributor

How horrendous, it benefits the very wealthy who go hunting for sport. They go on safari and shoot the biggest game and have it stuffed, it shows what big ‘men’ they are.

This goes along with opening up protected federal parkland for drilling, using coal as energy and there being no global warming.

Trusted Contributor

I think we know who will love this.

Respected Contributor

I can't say I'm surprised.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could deemed political.

Regular Contributor

Who stuffs an elephant? Is that even a thing? How many does this ban help? A dozen people? Sick and sad.

Esteemed Contributor

Another terrible reversal!!!