Super Contributor

Ban the word HOLIDAY till 10-1

I have no problem with the roll out of fall stuff...using....

Cozy..warn...comfy...spice...cuddle up...crunchy leaves...pumpkin...cider etc

But please QVC...dont let hosts say HOLIDAY yet...it has come to mean Christmas...

Say Halloween, Thanksgiving, Labor day etc.....Then on 10-1...Holiday away

Just a pet peeve of mine

Respected Contributor

Re: Ban the word HOLIDAY till 10-1

I think this year the Q is in the right.

There isn't going to be any last minute of anything.  I applaud all the customers preparing for the "Holidays" and taking off their shoes and socks and just enjoying the "Holidays" instead of waiting for UPS to get here.

Postal rates are going up soon, the post office said they are going to slow down (really?), post office is tossing around raising their rates for the "Holidays" (not confirmed yet), imports will be slow

so

leftovers or new, I rather have a gift than sit and wait for any of those carriers to bring it to me.

Last year I thought I was early ordering (first part of Nov) and my packages put on a thousand miles and were stuck somewhere for a month or so.  Package arrived mid January and thank goodness it was an add on to a gift and I couldn't save it for this year because it was dated.

Just my thoughts.

Respected Contributor

Although I would prefer not to see Christmas items until after Halloween, due to shipping delays, it makes more sense to push the items out now, so people can order, and be assured that it arrives in plenty of time.  Plus, for those who want to purchase items and then re-ship to the receipient, then they probably need to get the items sooner then later, in order to have it delivered before Christmas

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

It doesn't bother me one bit. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never ever considered the use of the word holiday to be exclusive to Christmas or winter observations.

I celebrate a wide variety of holidays throughout the year. And I call them holidays.

Honored Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

I have no problem with the roll out of fall stuff...using....

Cozy..warn...comfy...spice...cuddle up...crunchy leaves...pumpkin...cider etc

But please QVC...dont let hosts say HOLIDAY yet...it has come to mean Christmas...

Say Halloween, Thanksgiving, Labor day etc.....Then on 10-1...Holiday away

Just a pet peeve of mine

@ProudMa 

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.  We have many holidays all year long so no need to "ban" a word that refers to various events throughout the year.

Personally,  if they were going to "ban" any words, it would be that silly "Fri-yay" ....   it's not even a real word.  

Esteemed Contributor

A major port in China has been closed due to a person with COVID19. They aren't shipping, maybe for months. 
   This is in the news and on forums. This will hurt both us and China. Postage increases the last of this month! 
  I've been shopping for months due to scarce offerings in local stores and delayed shipping. Also I'll probably send checks and do deposits in the kid's savings accounts. 
  "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush"!  🛍🎁

Respected Contributor

Ban the word until...no. Holiday means Christmas...another no.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have learned the hard way, get your shopping done early and it has certainly paid off because I even had some hand wringing last Christmas, the things that I had ordered way in advance only showed up at the last minute. 

Also note most of those festival dates are actually tied to religious Holidays in the past. Halloween being "All Saints Day and All Souls Day" as an example.  

Honored Contributor

I know where you are coming from when you say "holiday" has become to mean "Christmas."  

However, it's different when addressing several days that are celebrated.  They are "holidays." 

As you say, all others are called correctly, even New Year's Day.  

Still, as Christmas rolls around after Thanksgiving, there are many calling it a "holiday."  Happy Holiday instead of Merry Christmas.  It's only Christmas this is being done.  For me, it's quite disrespectful.