Honored Contributor

Ban Balloon Launches Save Wildlife

I understand it's meant as some sort of tribute for those who have died but killing birds, turtles, sea creatures and destroying our environment is no tribute. It's quite the opposite.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ban Balloon Launches Save Wildlife

@occasionalrain  I totally agree with you. Much of the things we do to pay  tribute to special causes, only is for the people that are still here on this earth. It means nothing to the person who is already gone. It does however  cause problems for the environment. Good for you for posting. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain, I agree with you.  We don't purchase them.  I don't know if soda is still sold with the plastic holding all 6 cans, but whenever I see them, I cut the plastic up.  I am always concerned about what wildlife ingests from our trash and how harmful so many things are.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I hate seeing countless number of balloons going up and going everywhere else.

No one thinks about where they will eventually end up.

To me it is useless and irresponsible and doesn't serve any purpose.

Respected Contributor

I agree and would like to add Chinese lanterns to your ban list. 

I’ve seen pictures, one of a horse that got burned by a lantern that landed in his pasture, and another picture that showed a horse who had ingested a wire from a lantern and required emergency surgery. 

Just seems like common sense to this animal lover and horse owner. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrainwrote:

I understand it's meant as some sort of tribute for those who have died but killing birds, turtles, sea creatures and destroying our environment is no tribute. It's quite the opposite.

I completely agree with this.  There is enough plastic debris in the world (including oceans).  There are other ways to honor those who merit tributes.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirlwrote:

@occasionalrain, I agree with you.  We don't purchase them.  I don't know if soda is still sold with the plastic holding all 6 cans, but whenever I see them, I cut the plastic up.  I am always concerned about what wildlife ingests from our trash and how harmful so many things are.  

My DH and I were horrified when we were boating and came across a mother duck with 10 babies.  One baby had a plastic ring from a small 16oz. water bottle stuck on his beak.  It was that small ring on the neck of the bottle that you snap the cap open from.

We, as well as others tried to catch that duckling to remove the plastic ring and were not successful.  It still haunts me.  That poor duckling suffered needlessly.

i always remove the whole cap including the small ring and cut it before I recycle.

We all need to quit junking up our planet.

Honored Contributor

The balloons are a serious threat to wildlife, sea creatures and the environment, as are those who shoot guns into the air at holidays and other celebrations.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie, this has been a serious problem for many years.  I remember back in the 70's when I started cutting the plastic rings.  I cannot believe we still have these issues, but I know that even though businesses mark items that can be recycled, most trash companies do not really care about it.  It seems that they lose money when they recycle while our trash bill keeps increasing.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl ;when we go boating, we always take our trash home with us.  There are some boaters who do not.

They are usually only there on the weekends and throw all of their trash into the water or leave it on the shore.  We pick it up when we find it and when I see someone throwing it, I scream at them to pick it up and carry it out.

I have been cursed at many times.  Many of these boaters are from our neighboring state, so they don’t even live here.