Honored Contributor

Re: Baltimore, Maryland bridge collapses

@Lakelife62 wrote:

I'm sure the advice I'm about to give would not have helped anyone in a car on that bridge when it collapsed. I'm sure there were large pieces of debris hitting everything, including cars in the water....but...

Do you all have a gadget that breaks car windows and slashes through seatbelts in your car?

I have 4 (1 at every door front and back seat) and have given one to everyone i know and include them in client gift baskets.

They aren't expensive and just may come in handy one day.

We have 1 in each vehicle; I never though to get more to keep around all seats and now I will. Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

I'm sure the advice I'm about to give would not have helped anyone in a car on that bridge when it collapsed. I'm sure there were large pieces of debris hitting everything, including cars in the water....but...

Do you all have a gadget that breaks car windows and slashes through seatbelts in your car?

I have 4 (1 at every door front and back seat) and have given one to everyone i know and include them in client gift baskets.

They aren't expensive and just may come in handy one day.

We have 1 in each vehicle; I never though to get more to keep around all seats and now I will. Thank you!

Amazon has a set of 6 for $29.99.

I figure if I'm incapacitated, at least anyone else in the car would have a shot.

Wishing us ALL safety!!!

Respected Contributor

I just saw my local news that sonar has detected a cement truck, several passenger cars and an unidentified vehicle in the water. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not familiar with the area. Is there any other way people can get around the area without bridge access?

Esteemed Contributor

The window/seatbelt tools I have are attached to my seatbelt.  They are on a short chain.  I also have one attached to my purse (again, short chain) so I have one no matter whose vehicle I'm in.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm No she would not have had to go over the Key bridge to get to Johns Hopkins.  She would have exited 95 onto 695 long before reaching the harbor. 

Trusted Contributor

@Marp wrote:

The window/seatbelt tools I have are attached to my seatbelt.  They are on a short chain.  I also have one attached to my purse (again, short chain) so I have one no matter whose vehicle I'm in.

What a great idea! Thanks @Marp 

Trusted Contributor

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I just read that the ship sent out a mayday about their loss of power, tried to drop anchor to slow it down and that workers on the bridge tried to prevent any more cars from attempting to cross after reciept of that mayday.

It's just a nightmare for all involved.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps, @Icegoddess, but what type of engine did this barge have, and did it have any ancillary back-up power source or any kind of manual-steering ability for just this kind of circumstance? If a barge is transporting many tons of containers full of cargo with who knows how much monetary value, shouldn't there be some alternative energy source or way for the crew of a barge to steer away from other ships or bridge supports? I have no idea, but I would sure like to know the answer.

At what time of the early morning on Tuesday, exactly, did the crew report that they had lost power and might hit the bridge? What, if anything, was done or could have been done by whomever received that mayday call to prevent such a strike to the bridge? I would hope that there would be some kind of protocol to address possible collisions. I have many questions, but no answers. Even for highway crashes involving motor vehicles, there seems to be a much more comprehensive investigation.

Also, why is there such wonderfully clear video footage of the barge, taken from just behind the barge, only one or two seconds before the barge hit the bridge, but no footage I can find of the barge a few moments prior to its hitting the bridge? This is a major crash causing millions of dollars in damage, so I hope the full video is released at some point to prove it is merely the current carrying the barge toward the bridge support. 

I also hope more is investigated in the days ahead, because so far, many important details are missing. I am praying for the families of those who died due to this terrible event, and for the survivors who fell off that bridge, too.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is absolutely shocking.

I got up at 5am and turned the news on to this diaster.

They are looking for 6 construction workers filling pot holes on the bridge.

There was a May-Day issued before the ship hit.   They traffic control people where able to stop traffic from going onto the bridge.  Many lives where saved.

The economic impact will be horrific too.

I just want to cry.