Valued Contributor

Re: Baltimore, Maryland bridge collapses

Oh my gosh…TERRIFYING!
Honored Contributor

OMG! This was the first thing I saw on the news when I turned on the TV. I'm hoping the rescue mission is successful.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   The bridge collapsed around 1:30 am.  I don't think this is a rescue mission anymore.  

It is a recovery mission.  No one could live in deep cold water while likely injured for very long.

This is heartbreaking. I have always had a deep fear of bridges over water and have had nightmares about them.  I have driven over that bridge countless times.

Respected Contributor

How tragically bad. Praying for the people...  It's a huge bridge, major artery- Takes years to rebuild bridges- 

Super Contributor

bridge.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

I woke up to see this on the news. What a terrible thing. Hoping that they are able to rescue the people who were on the bridge and prayers to their families and all of the first responders.

Honored Contributor

In addition to the loss of life, the collapse seals the port of Baltimore. Ships already in the port are now trapped there until the wreckage is cleared. Ships coming to the port now can't get there and will need to be diverted elsewhere. That's potentially billions of dollars in terms of economic impact. Reopening the port will be a high priority. Clearing any wreckage from the shipping channels will be done as quickly as possible.

Rebuilding the bridge will take a long time, but they'll be working to get the shipping channel opened as quickly as possible. I would expect to see large cranes on barges moving to the area later today.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

This is so sad. They can see cars under the water. I can't imagine the fear and panic of anyone on that bridge when it was struck. The pictures of how one minute the bridge was there and the next it was dropping into the water show how tenuously we cling to life. Anything can happen to anyone at anytime. Yet somehow we continue to go forward, despite it.

My sympathies to everyone involved, including those on the ship.

Respected Contributor

Francis Scott Key Bridge | Media Library | Integration and Application  Network

Francis Scott Key Bridge [06] | The Francis Scott Key Bridge… | Flickr

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Being Hit By Ship

Baltimore bridge collapse: people missing as Francis Scott Key Bridge falls  into river - Daily Record

Baltimore bridge collapse LIVE: Ship crashes into US crossing sending  vehicles and people plunging into water | Evening Standard

Baltimore bridge collapses after ship collision

Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses after being struck by ship,  mass casualty declared

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Later in life, my Dad developed a fear of driving over long bridges over water. He and I drove to NY (DH calls it Manhatten) for a wedding or something and Mom and my brother flew, but we wanted a car there to continue our trip to upstate to visit with all our family. 

I had to drive over the bridge (may have been that one) for him...at 15 yrs. old w/o even a learner's permit. I was scared to death, but I remember he was more fearful of the traffic and holdups on a bridge over water. I don't love it now either since I think of that instance, but I manage to push through when necessary.

There's a long bridge over water/waterfalls, etc. on the way to Pinehurst NC that I had to drive over 7 days a week to care for my parents when they needed help. I didn't love it, but couldn't avoid it. Breathed easier when I reached the other side.