Honored Contributor

Re: Baltimore, Maryland bridge collapses

Baltimore Fire Dept Chief James Wallace said that 2 people have been rescued from the water.  

Honored Contributor

How tragic this is. It's the first thing I heard on the news this morning. We have several relatives that live close to Baltimore so will probably be talking to them today. Praying for the families of these victims still in the water.

Trusted Contributor

Same thing happened to the enormous Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa FL many years ago. 

Honored Contributor

🙏🏾 

This is heartbreaking.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@MorningLover @

@Carmie @meallen616 @Pandalady @on the bay 

Thank you @MorningLover  for sharing this information.

Unbelievable!
Prayers for all. 🙏

edited to add: Today show is saying there is a question about the ship having lost power when it hit the pylon, which perhaps caused the "pilot" to lose control.

Today also quoted an expert saying that the temp of the water is 45* and the temp of the air is in the 30's; viability in water this temp is about 1 hour.💔❤️‍🩹

@LTT1 Yes, I heard that too. That could explain how this could have happened. Still more investigating to come.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 I just heard on CNN that 2 people were rescued early in the effort 

@Mj12 wrote:

Baltimore Fire Dept Chief James Wallace said that 2 people have been rescued from the water.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

This is truly frightening.  How awful for the family and those affected by this tragedy.

Honored Contributor

This happened in Oklahoma on the I-40 bridge over the Arkansas river I think 2021.  It was about 8:30 in the morning, a barge hit a pier and it went down right over the peak of the tall bridge.  Vehicles traveling west couldn't see the spans were out until they came over the peak of the tall bridge and kept going off in the water.

There was a bass fishing tournament going on and the fishermen saw it and were waving and shooting flares off or a lot more people would have died.  They could see cars and trucks shooting off the end of the bridge into the water.

Because of the fishermen, traffic got stopped but it was horrible and a number of people died.  There are photos and details on line.  The bridge was rebuilt quicker than you'd think, and it was remade so you weren't blind going over the highest part to the rest of the bridge.

Honored Contributor

Horrifying!!  My heart goes out to those in vehicles on the bridge.  You can see in the video there were cars up there that plunged into the water.  So sad!

Esteemed Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Same thing happened to the enormous Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa FL many years ago. 

Seeing the Baltimore bridge video and coverage brought back one of my worst nightmares and is having a big impact on me. I'm a wreck right now.

I am absolutely terrified of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa, Florida. I had a nightmare about being on it when it collapsed that was so real I was shaken to my core. It felt like a warning.

When in that area I would drive miles out of the way to avoid the bridge until one day I got caught in traffic and had no choice but to cross the bridge. By the time I got off the bridge, about 4 miles later, I was shaking so hard I couldn't function. I had to park and just sat there for more than an hour before I recovered enough to be able to continue driving.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.