Respected Contributor

Balloons and Noisemakers for the New Year at the BAck Fence

Boy howdy, it was a royal pain taking down all those lights and decorations at the Back Fence. What a job but had some gremlins helping me along the way.

Am fixing black eyed peas, collards and cornbread so when it is all ready will bring some down to the Fence. And yes, will slice some homegrown tomatoes - can you believe that once in a while I can still find some of those delicious things. Will NOT buy tomatoes in a store.

Very very cold here in Sou Cal, was 27 this morning but it is warming up - if I can use that word. In other words the temps are rising but I honestly hesitate to use the word "warming". LOL.

Do hope we have many visitors - this Fence was originally built many many years ago by MGH, a regular poster who was a hoot - one feisty lady for sure but I truly loved her. She like many of our regular posters has left us but the memories remain for those of us who were here eons ago.

Sun is out and that is encouraging - yesterday we were covered with a blanket of white. Surrounding mountains are still white.

Hope all have a great day and come back often. May this year be an especially good one for all.

Honored Contributor

Re: Balloons and Noisemakers for the New Year at the BAck Fence

Freddie, why didn't you give me a shout out? I would have gladly helped you with the tree and garlands Smile

It's cold and windy here today. My middle sister and I went to see Night at the Museum #3 this morning. Such a nice story and it was bittersweet to see Micky Rooney and Robin Williams in it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Happy new year ladies. cold today,so not going out. started our cleaning out this morning. we have just too much stuff,and my D.H. Is the worst!!!! got part of the basement done,was easy as it's a family room that's seldom used. the desk was full of all little post it notes that he kept. could not tell me what most of them were for....Tomorrow we start on the storage room. I know a lot of things have not been out of the closet since we moved here,almost 15 years. time for it to go...Will give most to AMVETS and a lot to the trash. hope everyone posts often for this year....
Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness I was typing along, took a pit stop and came back and where oh where was my post. I suspect one of these ()*(^& cats. Don't feel up to re-posting right now so will just write a few lines. Epi, don't work too hard and Bird mama, I had a couple gremlins helping. My biggest gripe was the cold. LOL.

Will add that either later today or tomorrow am steering Davey to Walgreens for a flu shot. I feel very strongly about those shots and I cannot seem to get other ones moving on it so old Great Grandma will herd him over there. Will not be at all pleasant I am sure. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Have a great day and stay warm. We are 30 right now. And this is Sou Cal????

Trusted Contributor

Winifred, I sure did not do anything today. I know when I overdo it my fibromyalgia raises it's ugly head,as it did today. So, maybe tomorrow I will get something done. anyone want some chili,have some defrosting so no need to cook tonight. Birdmama,nice that you and your sisters get together to do things. as me and my sisters got older we lived far apart and never saw each other but rarlely. but, I do have fond memories of growing up as I was the "baby"!!!! Where is everyone else?????
Honored Contributor

I didn't do too much today, short of hanging around with my birds. I did laundry which I've never considered work since the washer and dryer do all of the work. I realized I was on the last ensure protein shake so I had to go grocery shopping. I hadn't gone to the store since December 23rd - guess you can tell I am not a foodie LOL.

It wasn't as bitter cold today and it appears I can expect freezing rain tomorrow. I think we are under winter weather advisory from 6 am until 6 pm tomorrow. Between freezing rain and snow, give me snow. Freezing rain tends to take down the power lines.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Regular Contributor

Saw the colorful balloon's waving in the breeze and found the location for our Back Fence. Thanks for shoring it up Freddie.

This was Robin's day to clean and boy did it need it since we had to cancel last week due to my illness. I don't see how two people can make such a mess, but we are real good at it. No sooner had Robin left that we began reheating our New Year's Chinese food and we needed to call her back to clean up the mess we made{#emotions_dlg.lol}!

Epi, were you successful in getting your hubby to toss those old post it notes? I thought I was a hoarder, but think he has me beatWink You were mentioning your hair loss and I was wondering if you had seen the HairMax Comb demonstrated on the Q? Here's the item number if you're interested. A233846 I was sorry none of Toni Bratten's hair peices worked for you, but Sherri (can't think of her last name) might have something you could use. She's a little hyper for me to watch, but she does have some cute hair pieces and wigs. Good luck finding a resolution to your hair loss as I know it must be very frustrating for you.

Has anyone heard from Puddles?

Ah, Bird Mama, a morning movie. I don't remember ever going to one, but glad you enjoyed your outing and the movie with your sister. I was doing what Epi was doing yesterday and went through one of my Armoire drawers and came across the baby book that was for my folks first baby. She was a little girl who only lived two months and it was so sad looking through it as I could feel the pain my folks felt for their terrible loss and I have always longed for my sister. I used to beg my parents for a little sister and I think they considered adopting a child, but by then they had me and my two older brothers and they were caring for my mom's elderly parents so I guess they felt they could not take on further responsibility, but I feel such a loss in my life without the big sister I never knew.

Speaking of big brother's, mine just called to wish us a happy new year and I'd like to wish all of my back fence buddies the same as well as any new poster's who might come across our friendly back fence.

Happy Friday all! Sue

Respected Contributor

Good Brrrr morning everyone. Even thought it is close to 10 degrees higher than the past couple mornings, you would never know it. Just soooooooooo cold even inside as it takes a spell for that wall heater to get in gear. It puts out a lot of heat but the house gets so cold. Toyed with leaving the heat on a bit last night but decided no. Have never slept with heat on, even as a kid except when living in Germany and it was a low heat. Our heat always got shut down or later when our homes had things with dials, etc, turned down to off. I can remember as a very young one when our heater was a big pot belly stove. As I recall, they certainly warmed up the house - except the bathroom of course. Sure was cold taking those baths.

I need to start thinking about getting my clothes washed - still dark out here but shortly daylight will break. I plan to hang them out because as cold as it is, once that sun comes out and is expected today, they will dry. I try hard not to use the clothes dryer unless I absolutely have to . Getting a bit more difficult to hang them out but as long as I can I will.

Of course I have some coffee and hot tea for one and all and Queen Sue, don't you fret any about themess you and Jim make. I have always - even when I lived alone - been able to make a sty out of my home. But unfortunateluy I always had to clean up my own mess. LOL.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Trusted Contributor

Don't know what's up with me, but was up at 6:30 this morn. usually I sleep past 10. I had laundry and bathrooms done before Vin got home from the gym!!!! So, smarty me decided we would clean out the basement storage room. It's a finished room with a closet, we just use it for storage and I have a old table there so Ican leave any craft pjrojects were doing out and out of the way. A LOT of STUFF is going to AMVETS, and a like amount to the trash. Well, I knew better. went to bed about 2 with pain patch on my back. It's now just past dinner time and I can't wait till 8 ,soIcan take my pain meds and go to bed!!!! Smiley Sad Guess myheavycleaning days are over, Ijust want to get rid of this putter we have collected. from now onI will supervise and poor Vin. Will have to do the work.I even sat while going through boxes,but still not able to do it. thanks for listening ladies,it's just so frustrating!!!! Verycold and damp, have the fireplace going and still can not get these ole ones warm,LOL!!! hubby made hamburgers and sweet potato fries for dinner, that was fine for me.... Sorry, I will work on enlarging my print....
Regular Contributor

Epi, so sorry you're having all that pain; can imagine how frustrating it must be to want to do something and just don't have the strength to do it........oh, I don't have to imagine that at all, but my lack is lung capacity. We both need some of Freddie's oomph. I don't know how you do all that you do Freddie. I admire you lady!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Well, we got 4.5 inches of snow during the night and it's been chilly willy all day. It's now 24 degrees and forecast to be 6 degrees by 7 a.m. So the snow's not going anywhere for awhile. A friend called to see if we needed anything and Robin had also asked yesterday if we had need of anything and even though we had need of nothing, it's always nice to know that people are concerned for our welfare since the streets are so icy.

Happy Saturday all! Sue