Valued Contributor

Ballerina statue cut down in Tulsa, sold for scrap metal

So I opened up one of the local Radio Station websites this morning to see what was going on and came across this article about a Ballerina Statue that was cut down in Tulsa, OK and sold for scrap metal.

A bronze statue depicting one of Oklahoma's most famous Native American ballerinas (Marjorie Tallchief, there is a previous Chat from 2018 on here about her) was cut from its base outside a Tulsa museum and sold for scrap to a recycling company, authorities said Monday. Museum officials say the Five Moons statue of Marjorie Tallchief was likely removed Thursday from its plinth outside the Tulsa Historical Society.

Museum officials received a call Monday from CMC Recycling in southwest Rogers County to identify what was believed to be pieces of the bronze statue (apparently not all parts of her were turned in)Michelle Place, director of the Tulsa Historical Society and Museum, checked out the recovered pieces late Monday morning and verified that they came from the statue.

Place said the original mold for the statue burned in a foundry fire, so recreating the statute will be much more complicated.

“I am devastated by this,” she said.

The statues known as the Five Moons were created by Tulsa-area artists Monte England and Gary Henson. England worked on two of the pieces before his death in 2005, and Henson completed the project.

The other Five Moons statues of renowned American Indian ballerinas depict Yvonne Chouteau, Rosella Hightower, Moscelyne Larkin and Maria Tallchief, Marjorie's sister.

(this was copied from a Yahoo News article)

Honored Contributor

Re: Ballerina statue cut down in Tulsa, sold for scrap metal

So it was stolen?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Apparently there is no bottom to how low people will go. These culprits belong in the same group as the ones who tag public landmarks and scenic wonders. Losing a piece of historical art is a loss for all of us.

Esteemed Contributor

That is very sad news to read.

Honored Contributor

This makes me sick on many levels. I love ballet and have always been very interested in this talented woman.

Just disgusting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Heinous!  Philistines who know nothing decided to approach a statue as so much metal to be sold for profit.  No thought about the individual honored and her legacy.  No respect for a great artist, art, the property of others and history.  Tragic in so many ways.

Disgusting.

I had heard of the ballerina Maria Tallchief but not Marjorie Tallchief.

I am sorry for this loss in Tulsa.

ETA:  I see that Lovemygrandkids and I both used the descriptor "disgusting."   Also apparent is the revulsion all of us felt.

Honored Contributor

This makes me sad and mad. I hope they catch the one(s) who are responsible, and I hope he/she/they are punished.  Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

anything to keep from getting a job.

steal gas, catalytic converters, gold out of your teeth, etc.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

anything to keep from getting a job.

steal gas, catalytic converters, gold out of your teeth, etc.

Might be a side hustle. Banker by day, statue nabber by night. Can't assume anything.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

What a shame, @debfau .   Marjorie Tallchief had an illustrious career as a prima ballerina and dance teacher, as did her famous older sister, prima ballerina Maria Tallchief.

Marjorie demonstrates her lovely line, right.

maxresdefault.jpg

Beautful Marjorie, in "civilian" life:

Marjorie_Tallchief,_head-and-shoulders_portrait,_facing_front.jpg