Trusted Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

@bikerbabe wrote:
No. By that logic, I would never eat in a restaurant either. I think I’ve been exposed to so much in the hospital it takes a lot for me to get sick.

It's the same here.

I have chronic health issues, so I'm at the hospital on a regular basis as a patient either having tests or seeing a doctor or being treated for something.

If I thought about what goes on there with germs, patients, and treatments, I wouldn't want to be there/go there.

We're exposed to all different kinds of things, at all times, just being around other people wherever we go.

We'd never go anywhere or eat anything, if we had to really think that hard about it. 

Trusted Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

@CLHS68 wrote:

I eat things given to me & have purchased and eaten from Bake sales & potlucks. We have some wonderful cooks in the area. The only valid reason I could see for not eating would be if you have allergies. The rest of you are ungrateful & entitlrd. If I saw you starving I would not offer you anything as I am sure you would rather starve than eat anything homemade.

If you don't think it is gross watching someone put their finger in their food repeatedly to taste it while preparing it, or maybe they go the more refined route and use the utensil to lick on and put it back in, then go ahead and enjoy a petrie dish of germs.  I was not brought up that way.  If something needed to be tasted for seasoning, a spoon was used and popped in the sink.  If it needed to be retasted, a new spoon was used.  Sanitation is EVERYTHING when preparing food.  I have watched people I know do this, gross, and I refuse to eat their food.  

A coworker made a cake and brought it in for a get-together.  She was a very proud cat owner, and I had serious reservations about trying her cake based on the cat and other habits she has.  Unfortunately, she served me herself, and waited for my response.  I hate when that happens!  I took a bite, and it was very good.  Then it happened.  Sticking out of the cake was a cat hair.  I wanted to throw up.  I found an excuse to run down the call to my work bestie's office and told her I needed her garbage can.  THIS is why I do not do potlucks, bake sales, or eat home baked gifts from people I do not know VERY well and can vouch for their personal and kitchen cleanliness. 

Another coworker, one I would have sworn was very clean, was discovered to never wash her hands after using the restroom.  We started paying attention to make sure it was not a one time thing.  The point being that you never can tell.  I take no chances.  The one good thing about having a suppressed immune system and being on a restricted diet now is that I must be very careful, and that gives me an excuse to avoid these foods without looking rude to people that enjoy germs.

I've found things in commercially prepared foods.

I found a human hair in an ice cream container. It was in there when I opened it up. Brand new container. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

Someone received baked goods crawling with ants?

I don't believe it at all.

@manhattan1950- it was me.  And it's true.  Believe it or don't.  That's your choice.  I've never actually lied to anyone on these boards about anything in all the years I've been posting here.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

I don't trash it....I let my husband try it...LOL then if he won't eat it...well it goes in trash.

@tsavorite  LOL!

@mousiegirl  Too funny!  Wasn't it your DH who ate the gravy thinking it was soup??  lmao

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I think people should only give homemade foods to family and close friends.Then you can be fairly certain it is something they can or will eat.I don’t eat baked goods from homes that I have never been to.I have food safety issues that I can’t control...thankfully most people I know don’t eat sweets so nobody is baking anything to give out.I think we have so many food safety recalls that people are much less inclined to eat something from another home.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

@cherry wrote:

@CatsyClinemy husband makes something like that from suet ,and peanut butter, birdseed.

I am just trying to find something  @gidgetgh can do with the food. I just pitch it out ,and never look back. No carbs, no blood sugar worries ,and  I can maintain my health. That is what counts. I am tired of trying to try to convince people I don't want goodies

@I think it isn’t very thoughtful of people to give you food gifts when they know your health condition.I think you are the considerate one who is thankful for the gesture.

Occasional Visitor

Give them to a homeless shelter. If they are that bad then just tell the person you can’t have sugar, and suggest she donate the goodies too.
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

I don't trash it....I let my husband try it...LOL then if he won't eat it...well it goes in trash.

@tsavorite  LOL!

@mousiegirl  Too funny!  Wasn't it your DH who ate the gravy thinking it was soup??  lmao

@Cakers3  Yes, lol.

Honored Contributor

This thread is beyond nutty.

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

This thread is beyond nutty.

Cat LOL

@QueenDanceALot  Nutty as a fruitcake.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh