Valued Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

Can't do it either. I cannot eat something that someone made unless it's my close family. I know how I raised my daughter and she's fussier than I am. My son is a germaphobe.

I'm 70 and in my long life I've experienced food situations which still make my skin crawl.

This past weekend, I was invited to a cookie exchange party in the neighborhood. Each year the same person hosts it. I always go because its a nice way to see all the neighbors and chat/gossip with the women.

I bake 2 dozen cookies and bring them along. I do not take any when I leave. I do not taste any. The thought of thumbprint cookies makes me nauseous. I wear gloves, always did. My mother taught me that and I also buy boxes of gloves on Amazon cheaply. I use them all the time when cooking. I am bothered about raw meats and always wear gloves.

I will not eat at a buffet in a restaurant. No buffet brunches.

I think the cookie thing really should go. I'd rather have my neighbors/friends over for a eggnog than present cookies.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

@glickie- first, welcome to the boards. 

Regift them to whom?????  If I won’t eat the the items, who would I give them to?  No way. 

@gidgetgh  Do you not understand that this is a reciprocal gift?  that when someone brings baked or cooked goods to your home, you are to return the favor by sharing some of your own home-cooked or baked goods, and if you do not bake or cook, then take them something you made, something you knitted, embroidered or a plant you grew.  

@Nonametoday You're just kidding right?  Someone gives you a gift and you're compelled to return the favor?  According to who?

Honored Contributor

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

@glickie

It's obvious you don't have any food allergies.  If people want to make cakes and cookies, good for them, but no one is obligated to eat something that might have an ingredient that could make someone sick.

Bad karma?  nah ... that's just being prudent with safeguarding one's health ... even if it means throwing something in the garbage.

Honored Contributor

Being diabetic I don't find it absurd at all. I don't care what anyone thinks about it. I eat to my meter, and will not eat a bunch  of carbs ,just because someone dumped them on me. A thoughtful person ,would simply ask someone, if they can eat things like this, not just expect them to eat it, because they made it. For me, it is like eating poison

If you are going to give a gift ,it should be without strings, and the recipient should be able to do with it ,what they want

As far as reciprocating for unwanted gifts, I would never do that. When I give a gift ,it is with an open heart, and not with the expectations of getting something in return

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If your plan is to put them in the trash and you mislead the giver into thinking you appreciate them, you will continue to receive them. It's better to tell them that you've already gotten more than you can eat and you wouldn't want their's to be wasted and thank them for their kindness. 

@occasionalrain- and embarrass them by turning them away at the door and sending them away with package still in hand????  I would never do that.  That's rude.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@glickie wrote:

@glickie- first, welcome to the boards. 

Regift them to whom?????  If I won’t eat the the items, who would I give them to?  No way. 

@gidgetgh  Do you not understand that this is a reciprocal gift?  that when someone brings baked or cooked goods to your home, you are to return the favor by sharing some of your own home-cooked or baked goods, and if you do not bake or cook, then take them something you made, something you knitted, embroidered or a plant you grew.  

@Nonametoday- there is nothing not to understand. And there is no rule saying that if someone gives us baked goods then I have to knit them a sweater or give them a plant I grew or something homemade.  That's ridiculous.

We give gifts to two neighbors every year.  I try to pick out something I think they might enjoy and we give it to them.  What's done with the gift after it leaves me, is really not my concern.  They can do whatever they want with it and I really don't care.  It's THEIR gift.  Once it leaves me, I'm done.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@Pook wrote:

I bake many cookies for Christmas and make about 50 diferent trays (at least 5 dozen or more each).  They are always welcomed and I know everyone does eat them and every year there are many who want to buy them but I only make them to gift to friends  and family.  If anyone doesn't want them for any reason but especially if they will just be pitching them out then I would like to know so I don't waste any on them.  It wouldn't upset me in the least but if I found out they were putting them in the garbage I sure would be!!   I always use disposable food prep gloves when baking and steam clean the kitchen every day.  I also like to get baked goods from others and don't hesitate to eat them but since everyone knows I bake they usually don't give me any.  Eating out and buying from bakeries, etc is probably more unclean then anything baked at home.  

But then there are those of us who don’t want these food items...doesn’t matter if they come from home or restaurant kitchens. 

That's fine but I was just stating that if you don't want anything baked from me then just tell me you don't want them so they won't be wasted and I won't be offended by the truth.  Most who say they don't ever eat anything home baked will go to stores, restaurants and bakeries and think that is more sanitary - well in most cases it is not.  If you don't want sweets at all then that is not what I was addressing!  

Honored Contributor

If I knew someone doesn't eat sweets, has food allergies or is diabetic then I wouldn't be so foolish as to give them cookies!  I also don't expect anything in return.  I do it because I know they enjoy them.  When I bring cookies to my garage, hair dresser, dentist, chiropractor, etc I know they are eaten and enjoyed.  I often ask which ones they liked best so I know which ones are favorites and can include more of those and always get answers that show they actually enjoyed them.  If I didn't then I would know not to bring cookies for them again.  It surprises me to find that some are so paranoid.  Also to think everyone dips their fingers in what they are making and then licks thier fingers making is ridiculous.  I have never done that nor do I know anyone that does.  There is nowhere where the food and baked goods are totally sterile and free from any dirt or germs!!  

Honored Contributor

I am sure you are very clean when you prepare foods. I also know there are people that aren't @Pook

There is a lady in my scripture class ,who has the dirtiest car ,I have ever seen ,in my life. The only clear spot is the drivers seat. The rest of the car is packed to the brim with junk

I refuse to attend any potlucks with my group. I like everyone, including the woman with the dirty car, but I will not eat anything she prepares.. I use my diabetes as an excuse, so no one is offended

Honored Contributor

Wow I see the OP's comments to be contentious and uppity. I have too much of a heart to just throw away someone's hard work that they made just for me!! My dh and I went to our local coffee shop for a cup of coffee yesterday. We were just getting up to leave when a man, that's sits in the back with all the retirees, came up to us and handed a beautifully wrapped box of chocolates. He went on to say how his wife hand makes them all. We hardly know this man! We thanked him profusely and we've been feasting on these delicious handmade chocolates that were made with love. So there.

"Pure Michigan"