Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3is right . You have done this to me many times. I am done responding to you. I posted to you in charity. You only respond to try to needle

Honored Contributor

I still say ask people in a non-threatening way if they want whatever baked good you are making before hand?  In a casual way call or see them or text whatever:

"Cindy,  I'm making a batch of peanut butter cookies this week, do you want some?"

Cindy says "Oh thanks, but I think I'll pass!  It's wonderful of you to offer though!  You are so nice to think of me!"  No problem!  

but maybe:

Cindy says "Oh yes." She accepts the cookies, pitches them in the trash and is an immoral ****** but we can't help her.

See? Easy peasey!  

Valued Contributor

I gobbled up some rum balls my neighbor brought over.  They were delicious!  And I lived to tell about it ;o)

Valued Contributor

Someone received baked goods crawling with ants?

I don't believe it at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry Yeah. Uh huh. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it might be a good idea, when presented with a home made food item, to just say something like this:

'Gee, Thank you so much, but my refrigerator is filled with various baked goods, and there isn't any room in my freezer.  We just cannot eat it all...........Is there any way that you could pass it along to another neighbor or friend who would truly enjoy it?'   'Thank you so very much, It's very thoughtful of you.'

Well, it's worth a try, especially if a person can't think of anyone else who might enjoy the home made food gift.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

@glickie- first, welcome to the boards. 

Regift them to whom?????  If I won’t eat the the items, who would I give them to?  No way. 

Regift them to someone who doesnt have the same hang ups about eating food that others prepare..sheesh...Lots and lots of people dont have your phobia, or whatever you call it...they might enjoy them- Give them to a homeless shelter, or food bank, they might enjoy them as well.. Donate to your church for their coffee hour after the service..Lots of people who will take perfectly good food off your hands...

Honored Contributor

Just want to say ( and others have said the same), my local food banks and soup kitchens do not accept leftover donations from other events, and they wouldn’t accept them from individuals, either. 

I learned this many years ago, when we had non profit dinners and had sooo much food left over.  Could not give it away...not even to those who seemed to be most in need. 

Honored Contributor

My overall thoughts on this thread from the same time last night:

I think some of the people who have expressed the most outrage over those who don’t/can’t  eat food gift items...they aren’t even the ones who gift these items.  It’s all about being critical of the giftees who they perceive as being ungrateful.  

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

I don't trash it....I let my husband try it...LOL then if he won't eat it...well it goes in trash.

@tsavorite  LOL!