Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

Possibly takes less time to receive it?

Maybe a day or two. (?)   I'd have to ask the post office or delivery service first.

'Still'............It depends on the mail/truck/whatever service in an area.

Just a thought of mine, as usual..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain  I don't know of anyone. My husbands family isn't here, and my kids don't eat this stuff ,either. My neighbors have health issues. 

This sort of food isn't something that is friendly  for diabetics(  2 of my close neighbors are diabetic) and on the other side my neighbors are Muslim, and  I am not comfortable with giving them food ,they might consider violates their faith laws, regarding food

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to spend hours making baked goods for my neighbors....one person even asked me if I would make more. If I ever thought my hard work and time was wasted on someone who just threw it in the trash, they would be permanently off my list. If you don't want to eat baked goods given to you, then at least be honest and tell them you can't accept home-made baked goods....you don't need to explain why...but it is mean to throw something in the trash that someone cared enough to make and share with you. I am appalled anyone would do this!

Honored Contributor

Just reading through some of the posts:

It's ok to have a variety of opinions.........Each of us have special thoughts and feelings about 'this and that' in life.

That's what makes a 'community'. 

Enjoy the holidays, no matter what, how, etc., etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

For those of you who do not feel that Christmas gifting season is  a time of acknowledging and showing one's love and appreciation by being reciprocal, most likely you were not raised in a home or community of giving, loving people or in a community of believers who understand the reason for this season.

We were not rich, but we were taught to give to those who had less than we had.  BUT, we were also taught to give back to those who gave to us within the community as we could afford. I have seen my parents extend credit to the needy for food, groceries when they knew they would never get that money back and perhaps it meant we (children) got fewer toys or not as nice as our peers, but we had more than money, knowing what they had done for a family who would have no food that week without them.  I do not have a grocery store or restaurant, but we have the means to do other thigns and offerings on a scale we can afford.

That is what community is about.  BUT most of all, we are expected to give to those less fortunate than us as a way of carrying on the works intended for us, to give to His people in His name.  We were raised this way and my children grew up in this way as well.  In this case, there is no expectation of a reciprocal gift.  We have our gift.  Our gift is the great feeling of giving to those in need and knowing the happiness they feel when someone shows they care enough to do for them. 

As people who appreciate community, good manners and civility, we acknowledge the gifts which take a lot of time, money and love to prepare by reciprocating because we have the means and because we do that, God always sees to it that we have the means.

This year, as mine and my husband's physical abilities are waning, I have not had the health or the time but I have given what I could in offerings to various groups in my community which support abused women, the homeles and the elderly, those places wehre I physically volunteered in the past, but this year have not been able.

Perhaps some are embarrassed they do not have the means, monetarily, and if that is the case, know that you are not judged for not giving what you cannot afford.  A simple smile and "thank you" are adequate. 

You can also show your appreciation with a simple "thank you" note, offering your help in doing tasks or favors for those who need assistance.

@Nonametoday  You are making assumptions here.  Just because people don't want home-baked goods does not make them uncharitable, ungrateful, or ungodly.  Christmas is not the only time to be good to people in need, and our actions at Christmas should not be the measure of the type of people we are.  We should live that way all year long.  

Your post has a lecturing tone to it, which is uncalled for.  While I haven't read every post yet, I haven't read one where the poster has said they refuse to be charitable to those in need when they are able.  There is something to be said for people who do charitable deeds quietly.  They are not looking for attention and praise for their actions.  Many very wealthy and famous people are that way.  I, for one, don't need a pat on the back for helping anyone.  Judge me if you want for not eating home-baked goods.  If your religious beliefs tell you that you have a right to judge others, while making assumptions about their beliefs or upbringing, go right ahead.  I don't discuss my beliefs publicly, but I will respect your right to.  I also applaud all you have done for others in the past and will continue to do for others in the future.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, I’ve rested up and am ready to jump back in, LOL. 

So here’s my hypothetical.  

Neighbor shows up at the door. You don’t know they’re coming so you don’t have time to formulate the very very perfect response. 

Doorbell rings. You open the door. A little chit chat and they hand you a Christmas gift in a gift bag and card. You thank them and you wish each other a Merry Christmas and you go back inside. 

Into the kitchen you go. You open the gift and it’s a loaf of cranberry walnut pistachio cashew fudge peanut butter bread.

You know you’re not going to eat it. 

Your husband isn’t going to it eat. 

You don’t work so no office to take it to. 

You’re not going to go running back outside after them and say “hey, I’m not eating food gifts. Please take this back”. 

So....what do you do with it?  Keeping in mind that if you start searching for a charity, they’re not going to take homemade food gifts. The food pantry in our area won’t take anything like that. 

And so, then what?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Read who is the food pusher and then tell me that...@esme

@cherry They are giving out of kindness and generosity.  YOU, on the other hand...what is in your heart when you take them, knowing that you don't want them and you won't and shouldn't eat them.  You at least have a good reason.  Use it.

Good topic for your "penance services."  WWJD?

WWJD?  He wasn't worried about salt, fat and sugar.  He wasn't on a diet, and he had 12 with him who would probably gobble it up.  He also wouldn't reject anyone's offering and hurt their feelings, but I doubt would feel he had to eat it to make them happy.   Just my guess.  

As anyone who has posted here for any length of times knows, I am not a believer or a religious person.

That being said, I find it very distasteful when someone weaponizes religion. That's what @esmerelda did when when she referenced penance services and WWJD  as a way to bait someone in an argument.

I may not believe but I really try hard not to be disrespectful of what others believe. 

Honored Contributor

nothing gracious about accepting someone's gift and throwing it into the trash
Honored Contributor

don't accept it in the first place
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2you are a star!