Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

@Sooner wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Read who is the food pusher and then tell me that...@esme

@cherry They are giving out of kindness and generosity.  YOU, on the other hand...what is in your heart when you take them, knowing that you don't want them and you won't and shouldn't eat them.  You at least have a good reason.  Use it.

Good topic for your "penance services."  WWJD?

WWJD?  He wasn't worried about salt, fat and sugar.  He wasn't on a diet, and he had 12 with him who would probably gobble it up.  He also wouldn't reject anyone's offering and hurt their feelings, but I doubt would feel he had to eat it to make them happy.   Just my guess.  

Furthermore, Jesus didn't get any baked goods as Christmas gifts!  For Hanukkah maybe..... Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Just my opinion but I don't think you should ever give someone a baked good unless you know for a fact they'll enjoy it, like if they're a good friend for family member who enjoys that sort of thing. I find it really odd to give something like that to a stranger as I feel the gift is too personal and I sure as heck wouldn't want it.

Occasional Contributor

Many of the comments sadden me.  Couldn't the unwanted gifts be given to a charity?

These days I give cash because I have never heard of anyone throwing it into the trash.

Honored Contributor

@HBJ wrote:

Many of the comments sadden me.  Couldn't the unwanted gifts be given to a charity?

These days I give cash because I have never heard of anyone throwing it into the trash.

@HBJ  Yes! Who on earth would trash cash? Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt Name calling? I saw no name calling. Only people who are phony and dishonest and don’t like having it pointed out.  People to whom another person’s time, $$ and effort mean nothing. People who have the attitude of “it’s not good enough for me so here...you take it.” People who are powerless to keep others from giving things they don’t want. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I understand not wanting to eat food that you are given because I'm selective, picky, where food is concerned. If someone gives me an apple pie or banana bread, I give it away no matter how clean their kitchen or how great a baker they are, or how fresh it is. I could never face them again  if I just threw it in the trash.

Cherry, isn't there someone who would enjoy what your sister's give you? There has to be someone.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Read who is the food pusher and then tell me that...@esme

@cherry They are giving out of kindness and generosity.  YOU, on the other hand...what is in your heart when you take them, knowing that you don't want them and you won't and shouldn't eat them.  You at least have a good reason.  Use it.

Good topic for your "penance services."  WWJD?

WWJD?  He wasn't worried about salt, fat and sugar.  He wasn't on a diet, and he had 12 with him who would probably gobble it up.  He also wouldn't reject anyone's offering and hurt their feelings, but I doubt would feel he had to eat it to make them happy.   Just my guess.  

Furthermore, Jesus didn't get any baked goods as Christmas gifts!  For Hanukkah maybe..... Smiley Happy

Maybe if he turned that plate of fudge into a glass of wine?

Now we’re talkin’.

🍷

Honored Contributor

Dare I say that I've always secretly thought that receiving or sending baked at home goodies isn't a good idea.  Unless it's, say, thirty miles away..........'Still'...........

Much better to send/receive commercially packaged and preserved goodies.  Mainly because of the various climate changes while in route in trains, trucks, etc., etc.

As much as I'm not crazy about chemicals in general, I'd rather eat food products that don't contain hidden bacterias, molds, whatever else.  Preservatives can be 'a good thing'. 

'There, I said it.'

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Dare I say that I've always secretly thought that receiving or sending baked at home goodies isn't a good idea.  Unless it's, say, thirty miles away..........'Still'...........

Much better to send/receive commercially packaged and preserved goodies.  Mainly because of the various climate changes while in route in trains, trucks, etc., etc.

As much as I'm not crazy about chemicals in general, I'd rather eat food products that don't contain hidden bacterias, molds, whatever else.  Preservatives can be 'a good thing'. 

'There, I said it.'

What does 30 miles away have to do with anything?  

Respected Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@sunshine45

My mix gets amped up with an extra 1/2 stick of butter than the recipe calls for as well as premium nuts (I get the big jar at COSTCO, they have macadamias in it) and also add 1 extra cup of cashews only.

I use butter snaps pretzels- the square ones (no sticks for me!) and sometimes I add white cheddar cheez-its. The seasonings and other cereals and garlic chips remain the same.

It's really good! I used to think everyone loved it until I read this thread! HA!

@Jacie,

That sounds wonderful. I would "shout out with glee" if anyone made this for me. I'm not much of a cookie eater, so this recipe really appeals to me.

🌲🌲🌲