Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

@gidgetgh wrote:

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

@glickie- first, welcome to the boards. 

Regift them to whom?????  If I won’t eat the the items, who would I give them to?  No way. 

@gidgetgh  Do you not understand that this is a reciprocal gift?  that when someone brings baked or cooked goods to your home, you are to return the favor by sharing some of your own home-cooked or baked goods, and if you do not bake or cook, then take them something you made, something you knitted, embroidered or a plant you grew.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I baked every year and during my Open House I put them on trays and have bags from $ store so they can help themselves. I keep a few for us because they are gone!  

Of course, I served a buffet dinner and I know the people I give them too.  

Honestly, I can't recall anyone I didn't know "gifting" me homemade baked goods.  I will confess when I worked "potlucks" were a big thing (I worked in a prison) and rarely did I partake in these ... just not sure about some of my co-workers.  If it was catered then I'd be OK. 

Sadly, not baking much this year my "circle of friends" has dwindled due to many passing or moving☹️.  

Esteemed Contributor

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

@gidgetgh Or just do them courtesy of telling them your rule about not eating things baked by other people. It seems the decent thing to do. Save them the time and expense of baking something that is going into the trash.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

This thread makes me very uncomfortable. I understand people worrying about food poisoning but then when I think of the time, effort and love so many put into their baking, I feel bad that some of these treats are being thrown into the garbage.

I guess I will blame it on how I was raised, where absolutely nothing ever went to waste. I still remember when a neighbor came over with lasagna and garlic bread with a fresh fruit dessert when my dad died. I will never forget her kindness and that of anyone else's who cooked something nice for our family.

One of the nicest gestures was when someone went to the trouble of altering her recipe so it would be suitable for a diabetic.

Can some of you find a shelter to donate the unwanted food if you are just going to throw it out?

@Trinity11- this will make you more uncomfortable. 

When I opened the gift bag today, there were live ants crawling on the aluminum foil which covered whatever the baked good was. Yes, live ants.  And live ants in the envelope that held the Christmas card that was also in the gift bag. 

It all went immediately,  directly in the trash and the bag was taken out and put in the can in the garage. It totally grossed me out. 

Nope, not giving food that we receive, that I won’t eat, to someone else. 

Oh this food gift was given to you since you started this thread?  Weird!

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Sooner i do think it is odd to refuse someone’s home cooking.  But i was raised on potlucks, cookie swaps and sharing food with friends.  I survived none the worse for wear.  I suspect that you would be more likely to get sick from purchased foods than homemade anyway.  i had a work colleague that when we traveled would inspect a restaurant kitchen before we could sit down and eat.  It was so embarrassing.  Another colleague refused to share chinese entrees like everyone else did.  We thought he was joking when he said he did not eat “communal food” so somone dove into “his entre” and i thought he would die.   Neither of these men had any health issues.  But they certainly were concerned about getting food borne illnesses.  

@Shawnie  I don't refuse it, but I probably don't eat it.  It isn't always a matter of whether I think they are clean or not, but often at the holidays especially we have things we've made or bought and want to eat.  Someone might bring something we don't care for or like ours better.

We thank  them and tell them how we enjoyed having it, and so forth  then maybe don't eat it.  I can't think what one would do otherwise.  Should I miss out on the treats I like, or gorge or everything in the house? Should I throw out our stuff and eat something we don't want?   So out it goes.  

I can't imagine what that hurts anyone.  I wouldn't know what else to do.

I think in this day and age we have so much available and so many people are trying to limit sugar, fats, and things that for a lot of us they are no longer welcome treats like days gone past. Doesn't mean we are spoiled or rotten people.  It may just be that we are trying to eat better or don't like fudge.  

Respected Contributor

I did read every reply and frankly I'm stunned.

Who knew a xmas cookie was so deadly???? 

I can't believe I'm still alive at 72.   Sheese.

Valued Contributor

I'm going to wade into this turbulent discussion, which seems to come up every year at this time. Perhaps for good reason. Smiley LOL

Barely a week goes by without at least one or two--or three well-meaning friends and neighbors giving my elderly mom a plate heaped with cookies. All year round. Often my mom is very grateful when the cookies are good. She is also grateful when she is given FRESH baked goods like bread or pastry. But often the cookies are very stale. Regifts obviously. Grocery store leftovers from someone's party. And they come in such great abundance she does not know what to do with all the stale cookies, cake and muffins. 

She is at that age at which she doesn't have alot of appetite. She doesn't like to cook for herself. Yet she doesn't want Meals on Wheels. But she is VERY grateful when someone gives her something wholesome like vegetable soup or casserole or a single slice of FRESH pie. 

Cookies are good. I like cookies. My mom loves cookies (assuming they are not stale regifts). But when you gift food it is always good to do it mindfully. Gift by keeping in mind what the recipient most needs or appreciates. 

If you're going to give food to an elderly neighbor call them first and ask whether they would like you to bring over some soup or pudding or casserole or whatever. If they live alone offer to bring them something hearty, even if it is leftovers from your own dinner, because they may not be cooking for themselves. I promise you it will be more appreciated than cookies. Don't assume that because they're elderly they're going to appreciate being the neighborhood's repository for stale unwanted holiday cookies.

Off of soapbox. Woman Very Happy  

And by the way you can send all those unwanted holiday goodies my way. Thank you!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie wrote:

@Sooner  Another colleague refused to share chinese entrees like everyone else did.  We thought he was joking when he said he did not eat “communal food” so somone dove into “his entre” and i thought he would die.   Neither of these men had any health issues.  But they certainly were concerned about getting food borne illnesses.  

*************************************************************************************

This would be me.  I do not eat or drink off other people, even my children/family.  I would never share a communal food where everyone just digs in and eats from the same plate/container. Everyone I'm close with knows it's my quirk and jokes about it.  I have no problem letting ANYONE know this is my personal policy.    It goes back to my college days when my roommate came down with hepatitis and we always ate and drank from each other.  Fortunately I didn't get sick, but, it stayed with me. 

Super Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I eat things given to me & have purchased and eaten from Bake sales & potlucks. We have some wonderful cooks in the area. The only valid reason I could see for not eating would be if you have allergies. The rest of you are ungrateful & entitlrd. If I saw you starving I would not offer you anything as I am sure you would rather starve than eat anything homemade.

If you don't think it is gross watching someone put their finger in their food repeatedly to taste it while preparing it, or maybe they go the more refined route and use the utensil to lick on and put it back in, then go ahead and enjoy a petrie dish of germs.  I was not brought up that way.  If something needed to be tasted for seasoning, a spoon was used and popped in the sink.  If it needed to be retasted, a new spoon was used.  Sanitation is EVERYTHING when preparing food.  I have watched people I know do this, gross, and I refuse to eat their food.  

A coworker made a cake and brought it in for a get-together.  She was a very proud cat owner, and I had serious reservations about trying her cake based on the cat and other habits she has.  Unfortunately, she served me herself, and waited for my response.  I hate when that happens!  I took a bite, and it was very good.  Then it happened.  Sticking out of the cake was a cat hair.  I wanted to throw up.  I found an excuse to run down the call to my work bestie's office and told her I needed her garbage can.  THIS is why I do not do potlucks, bake sales, or eat home baked gifts from people I do not know VERY well and can vouch for their personal and kitchen cleanliness. 

Another coworker, one I would have sworn was very clean, was discovered to never wash her hands after using the restroom.  We started paying attention to make sure it was not a one time thing.  The point being that you never can tell.  I take no chances.  The one good thing about having a suppressed immune system and being on a restricted diet now is that I must be very careful, and that gives me an excuse to avoid these foods without looking rude to people that enjoy germs.

Super Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

I agree that people should do what they're comfortable with.  However I find it ironic that commercially produced products are automatically deemed "safe".

Do people in restaurants, bakeries, etc never brush their hair from their eyes, or taste from the same spoon they cook with??   OR WORSE?

I've lived to 65 among COUNTLESS family reunions (150+ people) and office potlucks without dying or becoming sick.  And have eaten some mighty fine food.

Unless I knew the baker/cook made their specialty in a used cat litter box, I wouldn't decline.  But I live dangerously!   lol

I am completely serious when I say that I have been more comfortable skydiving from 13,000 feet than the thought of eating potenitally germ-ridden food.  Smiley Very Happy