Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

[ Edited ]

When gifting food people should ask themselves ,if  I were a diabetic ,would I want people shoving ,all this stuff ,that can make me ill, at me?  Just because the giver can eat all of this stuff ,doesn't mean the recipient can

Esteemed Contributor

This is an interesting thread.  I am the baker for my group of friends, and they always are waiting to see what I bring.  I understand not eating something if you don't know how it is prepared; but, since it costs so much money to bake, I would probably tell the neighbors that I had an allergy or something like that so that there would be no more food gifts.

I take baked goods to my art classes, to my priest, and to my friends when we get together.  I don't give baked goods as holiday or birthday gifts.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

If your plan is to put them in the trash and you mislead the giver into thinking you appreciate them, you will continue to receive them. It's better to tell them that you've already gotten more than you can eat and you wouldn't want their's to be wasted and thank them for their kindness. 

Valued Contributor

@cherry wrote:

When gifting food people should ask themselves ,if  I were a diabetic ,would I want people shoving ,all this stuff ,that can make me ill, at me?  Just because the giver can eat all of this stuff ,doesn't mean the recipient can

ADSURB and RIDICULOUS comment. There are a LOT of people who are NOT diabetic.

Respected Contributor

With 9 pages of replies, I didn’t read all of the replies to your post, so please forgive me if I repeat someone else’s reply. I’ve given homemade baked goods to friends and family as Christmas gifts for years. While I try to stick to simple cookies, some are more complicated and can take most of a day to make (so I only make 1 batch of those).  I spend at least a week baking and a lot of money on fresh ingredients. If a recipient doesn’t intend to eat what I’ve given them, I would prefer that they tell me that instead of throwing the cookies away. That way, I could give more cookies to someone else or would have more cookies for DH, our son and myself. I’m not suggesting you eat something you don’t like or even pretend that you like it, just that you state your preference up front. I realize this probably sounds stronger than I intended, but as someone who bakes dozens of cookies from scratch, the last thing I want to hear is that they’re going straight into the trash. 

Honored Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

ADSURB and RIDICULOUS comment. There are a LOT of people who are NOT diabetic.

There are also a lot of people who ARE diabetic, prediabetic, or just trying to eat low sugar diets for other health reasons. Like keeping our weights down.  

I eat some desserts, but prefer to buy small amounts and not have too much on hand. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@kittyloo wrote:

@tsavorite  you wear gloves when you cook your own food?

okie dokie.

@kittylooYes I do LOL! I have boxes from Costco of those disposable gloves and use them daily for everything!  Sure I wash my hands but I just feel better about not touching the food with my hands...or as little as possible.  Then you just peel off the gloves when done and toss in trash!  It's wonderful...so easy.  I even got my husband doing it....I loath touching meat...I put on gloves to make burger patties or prep chicken breasts and so on.

I love my gloves!!

@tsavorite

I do that also with the Costco gloves.  I put them on to deal with any chicken and to mix meatloaf, etc.  I thought I was the only one!

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

So then, none of those who discard home made gifts of food accept dinner invitations?

If you aren't going to eat it, why not take a drive to where the homeless camp out and give it to them?

Of course I eat the generous gifts of home made baked goods. I'm more concerned with restaurants, especially the inexpensive chains.

I feel the same way about those cheap restaurant chains.  Two weeks ago I went with some friends to a 60th birthday party for another friend who just loves this particular restaurant chain!  I don't know why because it's one of those cheap chains where the food is only so so and the place really doesn't look clean.  I ate very little since I was so turned off.

If I'm going out to eat it's at a place that offers qualtiy (usually orangic) food and at least looks clean!

I have mixed feelings about homemade baked goods...it depends on the person & what it is.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper I bought cookies at Trader Joe’s that had hair all the way through them.It was visible from underneath.I had already taken a bite too.They were recalled.It looked to me like someone dumped the vacuum into the mixer.It was gross.I have also bought other things that looked suspect so I don’t think anyone but your own home is the safest baker.

@dex Oh gross!  How horrible!

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

With 9 pages of replies, I didn’t read all of the replies to your post, so please forgive me if I repeat someone else’s reply. I’ve given homemade baked goods to friends and family as Christmas gifts for years. While I try to stick to simple cookies, some are more complicated and can take most of a day to make (so I only make 1 batch of those).  I spend at least a week baking and a lot of money on fresh ingredients. If a recipient doesn’t intend to eat what I’ve given them, I would prefer that they tell me that instead of throwing the cookies away. That way, I could give more cookies to someone else or would have more cookies for DH, our son and myself. I’m not suggesting you eat something you don’t like or even pretend that you like it, just that you state your preference up front. I realize this probably sounds stronger than I intended, but as someone who bakes dozens of cookies from scratch, the last thing I want to hear is that they’re going straight into the trash. 

Not too strong at all.  This throwing baked goods in the trash thing is sure not my experience.  Maybe the circles i travel in just aren’t as paranoid as some here.