Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

No baked goods for me.  Straight to the garbage.  

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I said if people have an allergy or something that is different but it is much more likely to get sick from something in a restaurant.Most of you thankfully have never gone hungary & had to dumpster dive or have lived through the depression like some older folks when food was scarce. These people whould be more than happy to eat what someone made.

@CLHS68 Not fair to say that to people.  What if people just don't want to eat something?  Is that a crime?  Does it make them a terrible person?  Are they ungrateful and arrogant?  Is it just because they are afraid of getting sick?  Is it because they know someone has a dog they pet all the time or a cat that sheds in the food and walks in the letterbox and then the counter?

Does there have to be a reason why you don't want to eat someone's pound cake or cookies?  How about you just don't want to eat it?  Should any of us be forced to eat food we don't want--store bought or home made?

Sorry but this whole issue is a mystery to me.  I don't understand it.  Where did the idea get started that if someone gives you food you MUST consume it?  That simply makes no sense.  If the person's feelings would get hurt,

that's their problem.  

If you give a gift you should give it and let it go.  They should say thank you for the thought,it's lovely, and that's that.  YOU are the giver.  Give joyfully.  But don't give and put it on the receiver to eat it. 

I don't get trying to make people feel bad because they don't eat food gifts. 

Honored Contributor

I bake many cookies for Christmas and make about 50 diferent trays (at least 5 dozen or more each).  They are always welcomed and I know everyone does eat them and every year there are many who want to buy them but I only make them to gift to friends  and family.  If anyone doesn't want them for any reason but especially if they will just be pitching them out then I would like to know so I don't waste any on them.  It wouldn't upset me in the least but if I found out they were putting them in the garbage I sure would be!!   I always use disposable food prep gloves when baking and steam clean the kitchen every day.  I also like to get baked goods from others and don't hesitate to eat them but since everyone knows I bake they usually don't give me any.  Eating out and buying from bakeries, etc is probably more unclean then anything baked at home.  

Esteemed Contributor

I eat it Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook, thank you for your response - you said it so well. I grew up in a small midwest town, and so many relatives and friends loved baking a boatload of cookies and candies for the holidays. It was a tradition, and also a treat to have their baked goods shared. No one questioned their ingredients or cooking methods - it was a treat to get them. I can understand allergies to certain food products, but I honestly can't understand this aversion to home baked cookies from friends and neighbors, and just dumping the cookies in the trash. The assumption is that the baking method is unclean or the food products used to prepare the cookies (or whatever) are spoiled, or the cook/baker uses unsafe baking methods. To each her/his own, but I gratefully accept a plate of home made cookies and try them - and I've never been sick from any of them. If I knew of a specific problem with the person making cookies I would feel differently, but I haven't experienced that.

Honored Contributor

I have a bit of a different take than most on this.

yes,   cleanliness and germs are an issue, but for me and my family, we eat things like cookies/candies very sparingly.  If we got one such gift, it might be appreciated and used, but if another was given, it would be too much and unwanted. We would throw it out.  

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I bake many cookies for Christmas and make about 50 diferent trays (at least 5 dozen or more each).  They are always welcomed and I know everyone does eat them and every year there are many who want to buy them but I only make them to gift to friends  and family.  If anyone doesn't want them for any reason but especially if they will just be pitching them out then I would like to know so I don't waste any on them.  It wouldn't upset me in the least but if I found out they were putting them in the garbage I sure would be!!   I always use disposable food prep gloves when baking and steam clean the kitchen every day.  I also like to get baked goods from others and don't hesitate to eat them but since everyone knows I bake they usually don't give me any.  Eating out and buying from bakeries, etc is probably more unclean then anything baked at home.  

But then there are those of us who don’t want these food items...doesn’t matter if they come from home or restaurant kitchens. 

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@tsavorite  you wear gloves when you cook your own food?

okie dokie.

@kittylooYes I do LOL! I have boxes from Costco of those disposable gloves and use them daily for everything!  Sure I wash my hands but I just feel better about not touching the food with my hands...or as little as possible.  Then you just peel off the gloves when done and toss in trash!  It's wonderful...so easy.  I even got my husband doing it....I loath touching meat...I put on gloves to make burger patties or prep chicken breasts and so on.

I love my gloves!!

Valued Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I eat things given to me & have purchased and eaten from Bake sales & potlucks. We have some wonderful cooks in the area. The only valid reason I could see for not eating would be if you have allergies. The rest of you are ungrateful & entitlrd. If I saw you starving I would not offer you anything as I am sure you would rather starve than eat anything homemade.

Your comments about ungrateful and entitled is CORRECT.

Valued Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

I agree that people should do what they're comfortable with.  However I find it ironic that commercially produced products are automatically deemed "safe".

Do people in restaurants, bakeries, etc never brush their hair from their eyes, or taste from the same spoon they cook with??   OR WORSE?

I've lived to 65 among COUNTLESS family reunions (150+ people) and office potlucks without dying or becoming sick.  And have eaten some mighty fine food.

Unless I knew the baker/cook made their specialty in a used cat litter box, I wouldn't decline.  But I live dangerously!   lol

EXCELLENT post. Those who refuse to eat homemade food, yet eat out, would be appallled at what goes on behind the scenes in restaurant kitchens.