Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

@CelticCrafter I don't think she meant to actually re-gift but rather  to offer them to someone less squeamish who would enjoy them.

To me, it's disrespectful to trash them without making an effort to find them a home.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

This thread makes me very uncomfortable. I understand people worrying about food poisoning but then when I think of the time, effort and love so many put into their baking, I feel bad that some of these treats are being thrown into the garbage.

I guess I will blame it on how I was raised, where absolutely nothing ever went to waste. I still remember when a neighbor came over with lasagna and garlic bread with a fresh fruit dessert when my dad died. I will never forget her kindness and that of anyone else's who cooked something nice for our family.

One of the nicest gestures was when someone went to the trouble of altering her recipe so it would be suitable for a diabetic.

Can some of you find a shelter to donate the unwanted food if you are just going to throw it out?

@Trinity11- this will make you more uncomfortable. 

When I opened the gift bag today, there were live ants crawling on the aluminum foil which covered whatever the baked good was. Yes, live ants.  And live ants in the envelope that held the Christmas card that was also in the gift bag. 

It all went immediately,  directly in the trash and the bag was taken out and put in the can in the garage. It totally grossed me out. 

Nope, not giving food that we receive, that I won’t eat, to someone else. 

You have got some bad karma going on to get ants!  

Honored Contributor

This subject should be publicized widely.  Many items are quite expensive to make and very time consuming.  Seems a shame that recepients just trash the food items.   After reading this, I would never make food for a friend or neighbor.  I normally don't give homemade items for gifts.  In the past I did bake cakes, etc. for a "food kitchen"  where anyone needing a meal could eat for free.   A year or so ago they said the health dept. came by and said they could not accept homemade food.  I miss doing it.   I would eat homemade food from someone I know--I eat in restaurants and I've heard  a lot about how unsanitary they can be--especially if you send your food back for some reason.  The dish you get back....well, you can imagine.

Honored Contributor

I agree throwing the items in the trash isn't the best route to go but once a gift is given it is up to the recipient to choose how to use said gift.

I never liked cookie swaps, either.

I'm also amused how cookies and other assorted baked goods are considered "food" for the hungry and for folks who survived the Depression.  I would cringe at the thought of somebody being given cookies for dinner.

Sometimes people bake because they feel it's part of the holidays, and that is fine. 

But that doesn't mean everyone who receives those baked items will be obligated to ingest sugar and other unhealthy items-in this day and age of obesity out of control in this country.

And be honest-who really eats fruitcake?  I swear the same few fruitcakes from decades ago are the ones making the rounds every year.  Talk about regifting. lmao

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

This subject should be publicized widely.  Many items are quite expensive to make and very time consuming.  Seems a shame that recepients just trash the food items.   After reading this, I would never make food for a friend or neighbor.  I normally don't give homemade items for gifts.  In the past I did bake cakes, etc. for a "food kitchen"  where anyone needing a meal could eat for free.   A year or so ago they said the health dept. came by and said they could not accept homemade food.  I miss doing it.   I would eat homemade food from someone I know--I eat in restaurants and I've heard  a lot about how unsanitary they can be--especially if you send your food back for some reason.  The dish you get back....well, you can imagine.

They did the same at our local food kitchen. I volunteered every other Sunday for years -- one thing I enjoyed was baking a treat.  It was only brownies, cookies or sheet cake.  The health dept came in and stopped any homemade or food not prepared on site.  I never understood this since the food was "donated" by various clubs & no real kitchen at site.  The place closed after about 3 months once they started this procedure.  I felt bad because many were veterans and they enjoyed a nice meal.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

This thread makes me very uncomfortable. I understand people worrying about food poisoning but then when I think of the time, effort and love so many put into their baking, I feel bad that some of these treats are being thrown into the garbage.

I guess I will blame it on how I was raised, where absolutely nothing ever went to waste. I still remember when a neighbor came over with lasagna and garlic bread with a fresh fruit dessert when my dad died. I will never forget her kindness and that of anyone else's who cooked something nice for our family.

One of the nicest gestures was when someone went to the trouble of altering her recipe so it would be suitable for a diabetic.

Can some of you find a shelter to donate the unwanted food if you are just going to throw it out?

@Trinity11- this will make you more uncomfortable. 

When I opened the gift bag today, there were live ants crawling on the aluminum foil which covered whatever the baked good was. Yes, live ants.  And live ants in the envelope that held the Christmas card that was also in the gift bag. 

It all went immediately,  directly in the trash and the bag was taken out and put in the can in the garage. It totally grossed me out. 

Nope, not giving food that we receive, that I won’t eat, to someone else. 

EWWWW that grossed me out!

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

Cakers, You have never had a good fruitcake if that's your 2 cents. They can be wonderfully good!!!! Especially homemade. 

Honored Contributor

Not cookies for dinner but when I was a child my parents took me to their friend's farm where they had fields of strawberries. In June when the strawberries were ripe, we would go there and pick strawberries and for dinner that night we had strawberry shortcake, homemade as the main, only, course.

I carried on the tradition with my child.

Honored Contributor

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I only eat baked goods given to me by people I’m close to. Everything else goes into the trash.I like my neighbors & my husbands co workers but I would never eat their baked goods.