Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

If the OP is not comfortable eating baked goods from neighbors, how or why would she be comfortable regifting them to someone else? 

Respected Contributor

I said if people have an allergy or something that is different but it is much more likely to get sick from something in a restaurant.Most of you thankfully have never gone hungary & had to dumpster dive or have lived through the depression like some older folks when food was scarce. These people whould be more than happy to eat what someone made.

Honored Contributor

Have you read Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory?  I wonder how those recipients felt about their gift.

Honored Contributor

This thread makes me very uncomfortable. I understand people worrying about food poisoning but then when I think of the time, effort and love so many put into their baking, I feel bad that some of these treats are being thrown into the garbage.

I guess I will blame it on how I was raised, where absolutely nothing ever went to waste. I still remember when a neighbor came over with lasagna and garlic bread with a fresh fruit dessert when my dad died. I will never forget her kindness and that of anyone else's who cooked something nice for our family.

One of the nicest gestures was when someone went to the trouble of altering her recipe so it would be suitable for a diabetic.

Can some of you find a shelter to donate the unwanted food if you are just going to throw it out?

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

This thread makes me very uncomfortable. I understand people worrying about food poisoning but then when I think of the time, effort and love so many put into their baking, I feel bad that some of these treats are being thrown into the garbage.

I guess I will blame it on how I was raised, where absolutely nothing ever went to waste. I still remember when a neighbor came over with lasagna and garlic bread with a fresh fruit dessert when my dad died. I will never forget her kindness and that of anyone else's who cooked something nice for our family.

One of the nicest gestures was when someone went to the trouble of altering her recipe so it would be suitable for a diabetic.

Can some of you find a shelter to donate the unwanted food if you are just going to throw it out?

@Trinity11- this will make you more uncomfortable. 

When I opened the gift bag today, there were live ants crawling on the aluminum foil which covered whatever the baked good was. Yes, live ants.  And live ants in the envelope that held the Christmas card that was also in the gift bag. 

It all went immediately,  directly in the trash and the bag was taken out and put in the can in the garage. It totally grossed me out. 

Nope, not giving food that we receive, that I won’t eat, to someone else. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

The problem is how if the recipient gets sick from the neighbors baked goods?

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I eat things given to me & have purchased and eaten from Bake sales & potlucks. We have some wonderful cooks in the area. The only valid reason I could see for not eating would be if you have allergies. The rest of you are ungrateful & entitlrd. If I saw you starving I would not offer you anything as I am sure you would rather starve than eat anything homemade.

@CLHS68  Something tells me you would bypass anyone who is starving, not just the "ungrateful and entitled" posters here.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain   Haven't read that short story in years.  Perfect time of year to read it again.  Adding to my list when next I visit the library.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No. By that logic, I would never eat in a restaurant either. I think I’ve been exposed to so much in the hospital it takes a lot for me to get sick.
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11- this will make you more uncomfortable. 

When I opened the gift bag today, there were live ants crawling on the aluminum foil which covered whatever the baked good was. Yes, live ants.  And live ants in the envelope that held the Christmas card that was also in the gift bag. 

It all went immediately,  directly in the trash and the bag was taken out and put in the can in the garage. It totally grossed me out. 

Nope, not giving food that we receive, that I won’t eat, to someone else. 

OK but I think @gidgetgh that is a completely different scenario than the norm in situations where people are gifting someone baked goods.