Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

[ Edited ]

@CLHS68 wrote:

I eat things given to me & have purchased and eaten from Bake sales & potlucks. We have some wonderful cooks in the area. The only valid reason I could see for not eating would be if you have allergies. The rest of you are ungrateful & entitlrd. If I saw you starving I would not offer you anything as I am sure you would rather starve than eat anything homemade.

@CLHS68  That is offensive and mean to call people ungraetful and entitled.  What would make you think that?

You don't need to have a "valid" reason to not eat something you don't want to eat.  You didn't ask for it then not eat it.  It was given to you.  For a number of reasons such as you don't know how clean they are; it's not something you like and you'd rather eat something you have; you're on a diet; it doesn't look good; you just don't want it etc.  

If you don't want it don't eat it.  Just pitch it out and don't feel guilty at all.  Nobody should be forced to eat something or feel not gilty about not eating it.  Nobody forced someone to bring it to them. 

Respected Contributor

Years ago I remember baking cookies for relatives and friends. (who always looked forward to them)  Also, I was the designated cake baker for parties at school.  I do not remember exactly when, but things changed big time.  At school we were told NOT to eat homebaked items students brought to share or as gifts.

Now I seldom eat baked goods even from close friends or relatives.  Over the years, I've seen too many bakers lick their fingers or the spoon.  I've seen hair falling in the face only to be brushed back by the hands forming cookies.

Of course I thank the person if I'm given homemade baked goods, but I admit, I throw them away.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner i do think it is odd to refuse someone’s home cooking.  But i was raised on potlucks, cookie swaps and sharing food with friends.  I survived none the worse for wear.  I suspect that you would be more likely to get sick from purchased foods than homemade anyway.  i had a work colleague that when we traveled would inspect a restaurant kitchen before we could sit down and eat.  It was so embarrassing.  Another colleague refused to share chinese entrees like everyone else did.  We thought he was joking when he said he did not eat “communal food” so somone dove into “his entre” and i thought he would die.   Neither of these men had any health issues.  But they certainly were concerned about getting food borne illnesses.  

Honored Contributor

@dex Oh my, oh my, oh my 😧 I’m so sorry that happened.  UGH. 

Honored Contributor

I love to get home baked goods as Christmas gifts.  The effort and time put into making them is appreciated.  Nothing is better than homemade!  If anything gets into the trash it is the store bought food items.  

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper@I know it was bad but my point is that even commercial goods are only as clean as the workers who handle the product.I saw a male barista at starbucks who’s apron was always stained by ?He constantly wiped his hands on that thing while he made my drink.My son says that he has noticed quite a few men don’t wash their hands in 5he restrooms.I really do think if it isn’t home or family cooking then good luck.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper@I know it was bad but my point is that even commercial goods are only as clean as the workers who handle the product.I saw a male barista at starbucks who’s apron was always stained by ?He constantly wiped his hands on that thing while he made my drink.My son says that he has noticed quite a few men don’t wash their hands in 5he restrooms.I really do think if it isn’t home or family cooking then good luck.

@dex 100%. Keep that circle very, very small; for me I can count them on one hand.

Tell your son it’s not just men.  I work in a very beautiful, modern, and busy office building.  Yet I am utterly amazed at the number of times you can hear when women leave the ladies room without washing their hands.  Pot Luck Luncheon for the holidays?  “No, but thank you for asking.”

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that people should do what they're comfortable with.  However I find it ironic that commercially produced products are automatically deemed "safe".

Do people in restaurants, bakeries, etc never brush their hair from their eyes, or taste from the same spoon they cook with??   OR WORSE?

I've lived to 65 among COUNTLESS family reunions (150+ people) and office potlucks without dying or becoming sick.  And have eaten some mighty fine food.

Unless I knew the baker/cook made their specialty in a used cat litter box, I wouldn't decline.  But I live dangerously!   lol

Denise
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I hope those who bring food to you after taking the time, effort and expense to bake, never find out that you all toss it in the trashcan.

Regular Contributor

I have a friend who always is offering me some of her home made baked goods but I often see her cat , who I know walks into his litter box , also walks on her kitchen counters. No thank you!