Respected Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

@Gorgf  So nice of you to do all that baking for those people.As far as your friend goes, she can buy cookies for her husband.You tried to be nice.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh: Yep gross. Very ironic that coworkers always requested my food and baked goods whenever anything was planned for the office. I couldn’t prove it but this supervisor always gave me a difficult time , making various threats . While on sick leave waiting for disability retirement to be approve, supervisor came to my house and said I would be fired instead of being approved for disability. I received a call within the hour notified that the board approved my disability, I left a message on supervisor phone that God handled my case and she would not have to worry about all the reports she needed to process to get rid of me. This was 1999 and 3 days before Christmas!!! Best Christmas gift of the decade. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

I'll eat it.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I never eat any food given to me that is homemade.  My husband will always eat it.  He has survived so I guess it has been okay so far.

Honored Contributor

I only eat what I made or what my sister makes.  

Everything else gets sent to my husband's office.  

Trusted Contributor

I never thought about it until my MIL told me a story about when she was a little girl and wanted an item from a Bake Sale. Her mother told her No because she didn't know what kitchen it came from.  

Of course MIL later on would donate to school bake sales and church cookie walks but she will never purchase or bring home an item from these places because of what her mother had told her.

Esteemed Contributor

I love fresh made food.  A factory is cleaner??? 

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just to qualify up front:  I'm extremely food-neurotic and picky.

That said, if it's a Colin Street Bakery fruitcake, I'm in!  Smiley Happy   I like a few other commercial baked goods, like some of the Grandma's Coffee Cakes (banana walnut and lemon coconut two of my favs).

Homemade stuff from people I don't know tend to skeeve me out.    My husband brings home stuff that people have brought in to his office and most of the time it - just no.    I'm gracious and nobody will ever know that I won't eat the stuff, but if something grosses me out there is no way I can get it to my mouth.   I will vomit first.

I'm probably in a very small minority in that regard and it's nothing personal toward the 'baker' AT ALL.  It's 100% me (childhood horrors).

If somebody hands ME something, personally, they will never know because I will be gracious and appreciative of the effort and the thought.  

I've made things for others, but generally by request.  I would not give something that I just decided, on my own, that somebody likes.  For me, gifts are a personal thing and I never do generic gifts.   I've gotten many requests for some of my things, like my fudge.

But since we got the dog I haven't really cooked/baked for others.    I swear, there is dog hair that gets in places the dog has never gone!   I found a dog hair in the refrigerator the other day.   He's a golden retriever, so there is plenty o' hair to go around.  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No. 

Respected Contributor

I eat things given to me & have purchased and eaten from Bake sales & potlucks. We have some wonderful cooks in the area. The only valid reason I could see for not eating would be if you have allergies. The rest of you are ungrateful & entitlrd. If I saw you starving I would not offer you anything as I am sure you would rather starve than eat anything homemade.