Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

No way.  Not to mention how many of those homebaked goods are being regifted.

Blech.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Sad state of affairs.

Honored Contributor

Wow we like them but does depend on who the giver is sometimes. We have never had any problems.

My sister is busy taking care of grandkids, taxi mom etc. Her neighbors fixed dishes for her several times after her husband had a stroke. She has done the same for neighbors that live on both sides of her. They have helped her pick up gandkids from school etc. If it was not for her nice neighbors I don't know what she would do or vice versa.

If you don't want to eat it at least make up an excuse & don't accept it. That takes a lot of time plus money making the stuff.

Just say we had an issue once so I'm sorry but we don't accept food gifts & leave it at that. Beats throwing it in the trash.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i enjoy receiving baked goods as a christmas gift.

i love that it comes from the heart of the person who is gifting it and it comes from the heart of the home.....the kitchen.

i try it all, but if i dont care for it, i take it into work to share with employees and customers. it is usually gone within an hour or so.

would never throw it away.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh Due to severe food allergies I do not eat food recevied as gifts unless I can read the igredient list.  Thankfully those that know me understand (a few have had to take me to the ER due to reactions).  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh: Totally understand and agree. DH and I both have stomach issues and are very careful. While working- new supervisor gave me a piece of cake. She stayed in my office waiting for me to taste it. I told her that I would eat it at home. I did not eat anything that day at work. Someone informed me that supervisor had a cat. That Christmas she gave everyone a container of spiced nuts that she had made, opened container at home and the top of the nuts and top of the container filled with cat hair. Following Easter she came in with a pound cake she had baked. The Tupperware cake container was stained, yellowed and cracked. People at work were aware of my clean house and careful food prep. I kept a brand new cake plate, crockpot etc. to use and take to work and would replace items when started to look bad. Southern Bee 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@gidgetgh: Totally understand and agree. DH and I both have stomach issues and are very careful. While working- new supervisor gave me a piece of cake. She stayed in my office waiting for me to taste it. I told her that I would eat it at home. I did not eat anything that day at work. Someone informed me that supervisor had a cat. That Christmas she gave everyone a container of spiced nuts that she had made, opened container at home and the top of the nuts and top of the container filled with cat hair. Following Easter she came in with a pound cake she had baked. The Tupperware cake container was stained, yellowed and cracked. People at work were aware of my clean house and careful food prep. I kept a brand new cake plate, crockpot etc. to use and take to work and would replace items when started to look bad. Southern Bee 

Cat hair in the container on the nuts and cat hair in the lid. Oh. My. Gosh. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Wow we like them but does depend on who the giver is sometimes. We have never had any problems.

My sister is busy taking care of grandkids, taxi mom etc. Her neighbors fixed dishes for her several times after her husband had a stroke. She has done the same for neighbors that live on both sides of her. They have helped her pick up gandkids from school etc. If it was not for her nice neighbors I don't know what she would do or vice versa.

If you don't want to eat it at least make up an excuse & don't accept it. That takes a lot of time plus money making the stuff.

Just say we had an issue once so I'm sorry but we don't accept food gifts & leave it at that. Beats throwing it in the trash.

When someone shows up at the door and hands you a gift bag with food in it, I just think it’s good manners to take the gift and thank them, regardless of what you’re going to do with it. 

I would never want to embarrass anyone by literally not accepting the gift when they’re standing right there handing it to you.  I take the path of least resistance and good manners. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

To me this is sad that people don't trust others. Would you give gifts of food to others knowing they are going to throw it in the trash?  I guess it is a miracle I'm not dead.  If someone is nice enough to make something for me, I'm going to at least try it.  I grew up in a family and neighborhood that always shared with others. Some we knew, some we did not, it was very comforting to know people cared.

Respected Contributor

My friend does not bake. She said she never learned how?Her husband likes sweets. I have seen her picking out donuts  for a big box. The problem is I have made the effort and get told they have enough or she just bought a box of candy. Then ,occasionally he diets so I got told, not now hubby on a diet. She , in the past asked me to please bake him chocolate chip cookies. She would buy me real vanilla for my baking in exchange.

No more baking for her. I bake for church. 50 shut ins get cookies at Christmas. They love it. 

I would think baking kills bacteria, but how handled after that would be the question. Schools here no longer allow home baked goods for Holiday parties. Must be made at school or store bought.