Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

If I got...and when I get:

Baked Items?  Immediately in the trash

Holiday Cards? Open, read, shred

Guess I’m going to Karma Jail.

Respected Contributor

I guess it would depend on who gave it to me and how I "felt" about them!  Things like are they "clean" ....certain types of cookies my MIL would make I didn't want to eat do to the way she made each one.  She would tear off a piece and use her fingers to push it down on a dish towel then peel it off the dish towel and fill in with sugar/nuts...then roll up.  Her nails were really long and pointed.  I just couldn't get past it...what is under them getting in the cookies...plus you could taste the fabric softener in the dough!!  Great cookie recipe but when I do them I make them totally differently!! LOL  

The grandkids (one niece) is doing it the dish towel way...for some reason she hasn't figured out you can use a silicone board and roll the dough out...cut them in size you want ...fill ....roll...pinch...your done!  Now bake.  

I am a nut when I cook or bake....hair back....gloves...everything bought FRESH....and nobody can be hoovering around "shedding" or slobbering....or coughing or whatever!!!  My biggest nightmare would be to give anyone a cookie with a HAIR in it!!!  

Ya I gotta know you and know how you make things or I am not wanting to eat it if it's gifted to me for sure.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm with you on that; I will eat baked goods from my family and closed friends.  People I know and whose homes and kitchens I have been in.  I don't eat baked goods from aquaintences, co-workers, neighbors.  The fact is that we don't know what goes on in people's kitchens or homes.  I also graciously accept the kind gifts and toss them out.

@chrystaltree  This! 

I am always gracious and reciprocate with something non-edible.  But I have a very small circle of family & friends whose homemade anything I will eat.  I do consider it a lovely, lovely gesture though.

Respected Contributor

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

I don't trash it....I let my husband try it...LOL then if he won't eat it...well it goes in trash.

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I'm pretty much on the same page as the OP. 

For one thing, I rarely eat those sorts of things. Secondly, I'm not comfortable without knowing exactly what's in something and I think it's fairly tacky to say "this doesn't have ______ in it, does it"? But there are some things, such as artificial sweetners, that make me ill. Lastly, there are people, like my neighbors, who let their cats roam freely thru the house, including getting up on the kitchen countertops while they're cooking. Ick. 

If someone that I know very well (and trust) offers me a cookie or two or a cupcake to take home, I will occassionally accept it. But that's it. 

Oh ya this is so true!! Some folks got their pets walking all over everywhere in the kitchen! YUK

Honored Contributor

Many years ago, late DH and I had a neighbor whom we knew well, had been in their home often. She was a FABULOUS baker.

Often during the year she'd give us a plate of her yummy peanut butter cookies. Since we knew her well, we ate them.

I've gotten baked goods from another neighbor I know well and love her baking and trust her.

I've had people I barely know give me baked goods. I say "thank you" and they go in the trash. Can't take any chances.

Respected Contributor

It depends on the baked good. If it's something I don't eat or like, I'll bring it into work for others. Otherwise, I eat them. The majority of baked goods come from friends and family. I do eat co-workers' goodies. My boss has a professional baking business on the side.

Honored Contributor

I well understand ,and feel the same way about potlucks

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite  you wear gloves when you cook your own food?

okie dokie.

Honored Contributor

I would never pass something I to others ,I woiuld never eat myself