Honored Contributor

Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

[ Edited ]

This thread probably won’t go well, but I’m living on the edge today, LOL. 

I’m not the world’s biggest cook or baker.  Just not my thing. 

I haven’t given baked goods at Christmas to the neighbors or anyone else for years. I go in a different direction with gifts. 

Also, I won’t eat any baked goods given to us by neighbors. I thank them for the gift and I appreciate them thinking of us, but I put it right in the trash can. I won’t buy baked goods at craft fairs or anything like that. I would eat something if my sister gave us something or my husband’s nephew’s Wife who makes terrific cheesecake, but that’s it. 

I really don’t want to go into details, but my “will not eat baked goods given to us” rule and the reason for it was reinforced today. 

Anyone else feel that way about baked goods received as gifts?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Baked goods received as a Christmas gift

We don't but my BIL throws any baked goods that is given to him in the trash. If it is a Christmas present he may leave it on the kitchen table for awhile. If it looks good I always have some.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetghliving on the edge Smiley LOL  I am the same. - actually I'm a little more strict than you -  I won't eat anything homemade by anyone else period - mostly due to a severe allergy.  I rarely get these "food gifts" anymore since family/friends know how I am. But if I do - into the trash it goes - and I don't feel guilty.

I'm sorry your rule was reinforced today.

New Contributor

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh  I get where you are coming from.It depends on who does the cookin/baking.When I worked there was a co-worker who was not real clean and did not wash her hands.When we had pot lucks I would find out what her dish was and be sure to avoid it.It is just chance I guess and you make the choice based on what you know or feel.

Honored Contributor

I'm with you on that; I will eat baked goods from my family and closed friends.  People I know and whose homes and kitchens I have been in.  I don't eat baked goods from aquaintences, co-workers, neighbors.  The fact is that we don't know what goes on in people's kitchens or homes.  I also graciously accept the kind gifts and toss them out.

Respected Contributor

I'm pretty much on the same page as the OP. 

For one thing, I rarely eat those sorts of things. Secondly, I'm not comfortable without knowing exactly what's in something and I think it's fairly tacky to say "this doesn't have ______ in it, does it"? But there are some things, such as artificial sweetners, that make me ill. Lastly, there are people, like my neighbors, who let their cats roam freely thru the house, including getting up on the kitchen countertops while they're cooking. Ick. 

If someone that I know very well (and trust) offers me a cookie or two or a cupcake to take home, I will occassionally accept it. But that's it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

No, i am not tht way.  

If I knew the person who gave it to me, was a terrible housekeeper, never seemed clean, etc., that would be different.  Fortunately,  I've not had that problem! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've said it before, with all of the recalls of commercial products, I'll take my chances with homemade.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@glickie wrote:

I can understand that you do not eat baked goods from neighbors however the people making these cookies, cakes etc. have spent their money and time preparing them...and it would be in the spirit of the holiday to regift them to others. It is bad karma to throw them in the trash!

@glickie- first, welcome to the boards. 

Regift them to whom?????  If I won’t eat the the items, who would I give them to?  No way. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?