Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom, Amazon has the Mad Hungry natural finish spurtle set ready to send.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom  No it hasn't ever happened to me but that is really poor customer service.  They should have told you it was sold out and canceled your order.

No wonder people are getting fed up; I've read reviews where people are getting used shoes, used make-up, soiled clothing, etc.

Sorry this happened to you-are you near anyplace that sells kitchen items?  I'd make some recommendations but we have a gag order around here - can't mention other stores.

Psst-try the one for mega-online shopping.  A-Z *wink*

@Cakers3  You can mention other stores.  You just can't provide a link to the store.  People mention other stores all the time.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

If the Q advertised this item, and the item sold out, then the Q should never have sent her another item, especially one that wasn't even close to what she ordered.

So I can see why she said "bait and switch".  If the Q knew they were sold out and still sent another item, then it really is a form of bait and switch.  Hoping the customer would just accept the inferior item.

Now we really don't know if some evil elf filled the order (joke) but it doesn't matter.

The order should have been filled as ordered and if the item ran out then the Q should never have sent something else.

That IS poor customer service.  The Q should have been on top of the orders and immediately notified those waiting that the order had to be canceled, regardless of her refund of fees.  Which they should have done anyway.

If I order a luxury car to be delivered to my home I don't expect a Pinto to show up.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

If the Q advertised this item, and the item sold out, then the Q should never have sent her another item, especially one that wasn't even close to what she ordered.

So I can see why she said "bait and switch".  If the Q knew they were sold out and still sent another item, then it really is a form of bait and switch.  Hoping the customer would just accept the inferior item.

Now we really don't know if some evil elf filled the order (joke) but it doesn't matter.

The order should have been filled as ordered and if the item ran out then the Q should never have sent something else.

That IS poor customer service.  The Q should have been on top of the orders and immediately notified those waiting that the order had to be canceled, regardless of her refund of fees.  Which they should have done anyway.

If I order a luxury car to be delivered to my home I don't expect a Pinto to show up.

You are assuming that the Q deliberately sent her the wrong order rather than tell her the item was sold out.

What is more likely is that an error occurred  - AFTER which the item sold out and was no longer available to send.

Customer service could therefore not rectify the situation by sending her the original order but they canceled it AND let her keep the order she got at no charge - which is clearly above and beyond.  We don't even know if the order she got cost the same/more/less than the one she wanted, but she is still ahead here.

Now I'm sure she - and you - will immediately say that she doesn't want the order she got and it doesn't matter what it cost - and maybe that is true, but I didn't hear her offering to send it back either.

And, finally, if the item she wants is available on Amazon - and even at this point - probably deliverable by Christmas, I do not see how she was irreparably harmed here.

Merry Christmas!!!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom

I order very little from qvc anymore. They have spurtles on amazon, which is where I got mine. I just checked for you. 

Respected Contributor

@hellodali wrote:

I chalk it up to hiring seasonal help and pushing so hard to get the stuff out too fast.  I think that was very generous of them to let you keep the incorrect item AND credit you for what you didn't get.  I would do as Cakers suggested or I would just give your daughter a photo and an IOU.  It is the thought that counts.

I don't find it generous for them to not charge her for something she didn't order. I usually have no use for items mistakenly sent to me, which has happened on occasion. I get irritated at the thought of having to package it up and return it though. If they let me keep it, I usually just donate it.

The OP has good reason to wonder if the original set was ever available. I am noticing a lot of retailers selling items that are out of stock. I have gotten several cancellation notices after placing orders, and it's very frustrating.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

Well I guess I do find it generous - or at least a significant change to not require her to send the unordered item back.

I have had at least three experiences of getting the wrong order and they definitely told me I had to send them back.

And once I received an order which broke in shipping leaking all over the box and they insisted I find another box and send the broken glass back to them in order to get a refund.

So based on that, I would say the OP is way ahead.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bait and Switch?

[ Edited ]

I also chalk it up to hiriing seasonal help just to get the orders out the door-  and errors happening. I recently ordered revitalign shoes from hsn and got bearpaw boots!! I was frustrated not getting what I ordered, especially since what i wanted it out of stock. But no one did anything intentionally, it was simply an error when the order was being packaged/shipped. HSN is taking care of all costs to return the boots, I would have asked not to return them if I knew anyone that wore a size 7 !! Woman LOL

Which set of spurtles did you want? I see sets come and go often- we love them too. They even have a 2 piece set sold in multiples, packaged for gift giving!

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

You are assuming that the Q deliberately sent her the wrong order rather than tell her the item was sold out.

What is more likely is that an error occurred  - AFTER which the item sold out and was no longer available to send.

Customer service could therefore not rectify the situation by sending her the original order but they canceled it AND let her keep the order she got at no charge - which is clearly above and beyond.  We don't even know if the order she got cost the same/more/less than the one she wanted, but she is still ahead here.

Now I'm sure she - and you - will immediately say that she doesn't want the order she got and it doesn't matter what it cost - and maybe that is true, but I didn't hear her offering to send it back either.

And, finally, if the item she wants is available on Amazon - and even at this point - probably deliverable by Christmas, I do not see how she was irreparably harmed here.

Merry Christmas!!!

@Isobel Archer  i said we don't know what really happened.  I never assumed a thing. Even said as a JOKE about the evil elf.

Please don't assume what I will immediately say, either.  So you really are not sure about anything.

You are picking just for the sake of picking.  Let it go already.  I'm not going to respond to you again.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Merry Christmas!!!

@Isobel Archer  i said we don't know what really happened.  I never assumed a thing. Even said as a JOKE about the evil elf.

Please don't assume what I will immediately say, either.  So you really are not sure about anything.

You are picking just for the sake of picking.  Let it go already.  I'm not going to respond to you again.

I said in a previous post that I didn't think it was poor customer service as they did their best to rectify the situation.

You then responded with a post insisting that it WAS poor customer service and then explained as follows:

You said "So I can see why she said "bait and switch".  If the Q knew they were sold out and still sent another item, then it really is a form of bait and switch.  Hoping the customer would just accept the inferior item."

You then went on to say that the Q should have notified her that the order was sold out.

Why would they do that if they thought they had sent her what she ordered?  So it seems that you agree with her that they somehow deliberately sent her something else rather than tell her they were sold out.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I don't see how you can say it was poor customer service unless you are saying they did this deliberately.