Honored Contributor

This Map Shows Where to Get the Best Bagel in Every State

You don't have to travel to New York for awesome bagels.

While some say that you can’t find a good bagel outside of New York City, we’ve always felt that bold argument was flawed. Passionate bagel makers everywhere do their time to learn the trade and, if they’re lucky, they’re celebrated for imparting their own unique approaches to these rustic, ring-shaped breads. So with this list, we’re proud to celebrate the bagel makers that are waking up well before daybreak to roll, boil and bake the nation’s best!

Winning bagels were judged on flavor, process (hand-rolling, boiling and baking are essential!), ingredients, mission and recommendations from discerning bagel-eaters.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-nosher/this-map-shows-where-to-get-the-best-bagel-in-every-stat...

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Best-Bagels_Map-2.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

But how can you possibly get an authentic (Jersey) bagel with pork roll/ketchup/s&p, if they hack up the bagel like this?  Smiley Surprised  

Heart Truth!   You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

LOL @QueenDanceALot  obviously there are LOTS of people who love the panera bagels. our paneras are always packed and we have three in our general area. if you go in there very late you will see just how much breads are left.....and it isnt that many.

my choice is to purchase from the local mom and pop bagel shops because i love the quality and we have a number of them close by.....most only open until no later than 4pm.

even among our local bagel shops there is no set standard as to how the bagel looks or tastes.

@sunshine45 

Popular they may be, but bagels they aren't.

Yes, I am a (proud!)  New York Authentic Bagel Snob.

Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

But how can you possibly get an authentic (Jersey) bagel with pork roll/ketchup/s&p, if they hack up the bagel like this?  Smiley Surprised  

Heart Truth!   You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. 

Heart

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

you all really have to think "outside the traditional bagel"......whether it be how it is sliced, what it is stuffed with, or if it is served open face. we see it all around here and we have some EXCELLENT bagel shops and delis with tons of choices.

how do you bagel?

Bagel Toppings Feature.jpg

bagel jerusalem.jpg

Toppings can be varied and wonderful, but the underlying bagel MUST be an actual bagel and not a Panera piece of bread baked into a bagel shape.

KittyLouWhoNYBagelPuristToYou

Cat LOL

Looking carefully at both these pictures.........neither is a bagel. Not sure what they should be called but the outside of the bagel in the first picture is too rough to be    a smoooth boiled then baked bagel. The salt bread is simply too misshapen and too large.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

This Map Shows Where to Get the Best Bagel in Every State

You don't have to travel to New York for awesome bagels.

While some say that you can’t find a good bagel outside of New York City, we’ve always felt that bold argument was flawed. Passionate bagel makers everywhere do their time to learn the trade and, if they’re lucky, they’re celebrated for imparting their own unique approaches to these rustic, ring-shaped breads. So with this list, we’re proud to celebrate the bagel makers that are waking up well before daybreak to roll, boil and bake the nation’s best!

Winning bagels were judged on flavor, process (hand-rolling, boiling and baking are essential!), ingredients, mission and recommendations from discerning bagel-eaters.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-nosher/this-map-shows-where-to-get-the-best-bagel-in-every-stat...

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Best-Bagels_Map-2.jpg

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

The best bakery in my city also makes "authentic NY bagels".

I love this bakery, and their bagels aren't bad, but authentic NY?  No.

I'd never tell the owner that, though.  He might stop holding a loaf of his fanTAStic truly authentic sourdough when I pre-order (which is sometimes the only way to get it)..

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  Is that bagel or a pretzel? Whatever it is it looks good.

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Love how ‘St. Louis Style” is trending. 

Translation = How to do something oh so wrong.

E19090FA-F4ED-4DEC-A6AF-4B2513D58793.jpeg

724EC2CD-ECFD-46A6-8929-9401448C809C.jpeg

69526268-A207-43A8-A95D-C8D3BDF4033B.jpeg

LMAO at this!!  Loving all the replies posted...but the Chips Ahoy one is the best!  I love lighthearted stuff like this instead of the cesspool twitter can be about other topics.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 

@colliemom4 

believe it or not, the second bagel pictured is a JERUSALEM BAGEL......made popular in israel during the late 60s. they are not boiled and baked so they have a much shorter shelf life than a traditional new york bagel. that is not salt on it, but sesame seeds. you can find it at bar bolonat in manhattan and at nur restaurant in nyc.

i am an equal oppourtunity bagel lover.  Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: 🤣#Bagelgate

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@reiki604 

@colliemom4 

believe it or not, the second bagel pictured is a JERUSALEM BAGEL......made popular in israel during the late 60s. they are not boiled and baked so they have a much shorter shelf life than a traditional new york bagel. that is not salt on it, but sesame seeds. you can find it at bar bolonat in manhattan and at nur restaurant in nyc.

i am an equal oppourtunity bagel lover.  Smiley Wink

Bagels are not Israeli but Eastern European. My great uncle Shlomo was an immigrant bagel baker in Brooklyn. He would bring fresh bagels daily to my Bubbe (grandma) and she would give them to us. He was baking bagels before Israel was a country.. His sons opened the first bagel store in Baltimore and was one the first to offer the pizza bagel.  I'm a bagel purist!  LOL

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown