Respected Contributor

Re: Bad reaction to suntan lotion. Anyone ever had this problem?

@bonnielu wrote:

My daughter called me.  All broken out.  Only thing she could think of was her suntan lotion.. brand new.  Anyone have a rash with suntan lotion and what did you do about it?  I am trying to get her to her doctor but she thinks only a dermatologist can help her.  Not sure she is right..

My mother breaks out from anything with sodium lauryl sulfate in it...and it is in a lot of personal care products. She usually just puts OTC cortisone cream on or uses benadryl when she breaks out...but she has had to go on oral steroids a few times.

Good luck to your daughter.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

'One thing I know for sure', in general, it's probably better to stay with the brands/beauty items that we've been using for years instead of trying 'this and that'.  Especially now-a-days when companies (allegedly) throw in just about every ingredient.   And, actually, sometimes our favorite brands have been suddenly 'tweeked' with this or that ingredient.  Probably a good idea to do a patch test when we buy a new container of our favorite item.  .... In fact, a favorite mild bar soap that I've used for years and years now has a definite scent.  At first I thought the scent was from being placed next to a fragrant batch of bar soaps on the shelf.  But, no, it's the bar soap itself.  Very disappointed, to say the least.  I've been using a back-up brand (unscented) that, so far, is fragrance free.  (Underline 'so far').   I just can't figure out why manufacturers just HAVE to add extra chemicals/fragrances to long-time products that are good sellers.   Especially sensitive products that babies are exposed to.  That's another story............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Chemical sunscreens; started about 2 years ago and I had NO idea until I used one and my face turned red, broke out in welts, burned.... OMG... horrible.

Problem is, chemical sunscreens are replacing physical ones because they're cheaper to make and women like not having a white cast or flash back on their face. This is making it REALLY hard for me to find a SPF that I can use now. : (

Honored Contributor

@bonnieluI know exactly how she feels!

Last year at the beach I was useing a spray and didn't realize I had gotten too pink although it had a really high SPF (70)!!!

After lunch I got under the tarp which is UVA/UVB protected with a side wall that can come down to catch angled sun.

That night I ate fresh shrimp (I have no food allergies).  In the morning I woke up with a red, itchy rash and had to stay in.

When I got back, I went to my allergist and they did the skin test for all the foods, esp. seafood.  No allergies.

He suggested I had a reaction to the sunscreen I had used for years, a top brand, and suggested I use a child's sunscreen.

I would take her to the doctor and let them see it "full blown".  Repeated breakouts cause a "resistance" in the body, the worse result being 

anaphylactic shock.

Occasional Contributor

Yes!  There are chemical and mineral based sunscreens.  I found I am allergic to the chemical based so use the mineral based with no problems.  I did see a derm and this was how I found out about chemical vs mineral. I was prescribed a cream for the itching on my arms but it went away quickly.