Honored Contributor

Bad and good experiences with meal and grocery delivery services

[ Edited ]

Hi All. I just want to share a heads up which might be helpful for others here. First, the good. I have had some good experiences ordering groceries from Publix using their service company, Instacart. Everything I ordered came on time and the driver was courteous and I had no problems with the freshness of the groceries in my order. I have also ordered dinner from restaurants using a Grub Hub as their delivery service. It does add to the cost but sometimes it’s necessary to have meals delivered.  Now, the bad. Last night I ordered from a restaurant that was nearby. I received a mailer announcing their meal delivery using a delivery service called Postmates. This is just my own personal, one time experience, but I was very dissatisfied with all aspects of the order and I don’t blame the restaurant.  I also don’t blame the delivery person in this instance. If you plan on ordering, please check out everything you can about this company before placing the order using them.  Today I checked into them on Google ratings, the reviews of their company for their app on the Apple App Store, Wikipedia, Glassdoor (Indded.com) to see what their employees say and I read everything on their entire website. Wish I had done this before I gave them my information.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bad and good experiences with meal and grocery delivery services

I’ve had only positive experiences with Grub Hub. I’ve never used Peapod the delivery service for the local supermarket.But I know many people who have & they are all very satisfied.

My son & his girlfriend use Uber Eats quite a bit & they’ve never had a problem.Although he told me that some restaurants carry high transaction fees,so you have to be aware which ones you order from.Fees appear to range from $3.50-$9.99.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used Wal-Mart's free grocery pickup twice. I did not have any problems either time. I did not buy any frozen foods, fresh meats or veggies except on my last order. I did buy some butter lettuce just to see what I would get. Both bags looked really good & fresh. I think they must have picked it from in the back since it looked better then what's on the shelf while in the store. All items had good dates.

They had all my items ordered & did not have to substitute anything. I picked up No substitutions during checkout. 

I asked how that worked & was told you generally end up with a more expensive item. I doubt I would since I already by name brands.

We don't have Grub Hub or any other type of free delivery service for groceries or food from restaurants that I'm aware of. Some restaurants do delivery some don't. 

All I can say is it was so much more pleasant picking up my groceries instead of going inside. Only took me about 10 mins to pickup groceries & get back home. Generally it takes me 2 hrs plus.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I’ve had only positive experiences with Grub Hub. I’ve never used Peapod the delivery service for the local supermarket.But I know many people who have & they are all very satisfied.

My son & his girlfriend use Uber Eats quite a bit & they’ve never had a problem.Although he told me that some restaurants carry high transaction fees,so you have to be aware which ones you order from.Fees appear to range from $3.50-$9.99.

Hi Nicksmom. I was only posting to warn about this company. I usually have good experiences too. This company has company has many, many customers complaining about phoney charges for orders they never made in addition to problems with their orders. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have used Wal-Mart's free grocery pickup twice. I did not have any problems either time. I did not buy any frozen foods, fresh meats or veggies except on my last order. I did buy some butter lettuce just to see what I would get. Both bags looked really good & fresh. I think they must have picked it from in the back since it looked better then what's on the shelf while in the store. All items had good dates.

They had all my items ordered & did not have to substitute anything. I picked up No substitutions during checkout. 

I asked how that worked & was told you generally end up with a more expensive item. I doubt I would since I already by name brands.

We don't have Grub Hub or any other type of free delivery service for groceries or food from restaurants that I'm aware of. Some restaurants do delivery some don't. 

All I can say is it was so much more pleasant picking up my groceries instead of going inside. Only took me about 10 mins to pickup groceries & get back home. Generally it takes me 2 hrs plus.

Nice to hear from you, Nightowiz. I too had no problems with Walmart. Please check what I wrote to another poster, Nicksmom.  I’m trying to warn other QVCers. 

Trusted Contributor

I haven’t used Wal-Mart’s pick up service yet but have heard really good things about it from the people I know who have. 

I talked to a WM employee who was pulling an order and she said they pick out produce as if they were buying it for themselves. They also check expiration dates on everything. If you agree to substitutions and they don’t have something you order they will either give you another brand (at no extra charge if the subbed brand is more) or a bigger size, etc. 

I will use it the next time I’m sick, that way my husband just has to drive up and get the order instead of spending a couple of hours doing the shopping. 

Esteemed Contributor

Walmart pickup is available to me, but the time I'd use to drive to pick it up and drive home I could spend shopping at the store closer to me.  I doubt I'll ever use the Walmare service.

If by "meal delivery" the OP means something like Blue Apron and Hello Fresh, I've had both of them, and prefer the latter.  No bad experience with either.  HF meals just seemed "lighter."

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

For those that have not used Wal-Mart Grocery free pickup you have to set up an account on their website. 

You also need to put their App on your cell phone.

You login to shop in the grocery dept.

You can pick your pickup time which is an hour window. Both my orders were ready at the earlier time instead of later. I picked pick up time 10-11 am. I received an email & text my order was ready for pickup at 10.

After you receive your text you have to login to your account to check in using their app so they know you are on your way.

They TRACK you by GPS on your cell phone so they know when you arrive for your pickup.

I guess if you don't use a cell phone they do have a phone number you can call to tell them you are on your way.

I did not know this with my 1st order & did not have my cell phone with me when I went. If they had not been loading other groceries I don't know how they would have known I was there. LOL!!!

Most people just sit there while they load their groceries but I got out & helped both times. They cannot accept tips.

Trusted Contributor

I always hear good things about the grocery and food delivery services.   I just can't get myself to use them.  There is something about having another person pick out my groceries that feels wierd - I don't trust someone to pick my fresh meat, fruit or veggies (just personal preference).  Maybe some day but right now I just fit the grocery shopping into my busy schedule.

Postmates is something I've never heard of.  I suppose these days delivery companies are coming out of the woodwork.

Honored Contributor

I've had experiences like @Nightowlz with Wal-Mart's grocery pick-up except I've been using it about 2 years.  Occasionally they do forget something, my last order it was peanut butter and eggs.  They credited my account when I called.  Usually it's perfect and I've been very pleased.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment