Honored Contributor

Re: Bad allergic reaction (G Daughter)

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U wrote:

We went over everything she ate, and did for days to no avail. Only thing we could think of was make up.

Long story short she went to the Dr and its from the Kat Von D make up that I got her for Christmas as one of her gifts no less!

Did you tell the doctor it was the makeup or did the doctor tell you it was the makeup? That makes a big difference.

That reaction can be from makeup, but it can also be from many other things. It sounds like you all decided it was the makeup, told the doctor it was the makeup, and the doctor agreed. That might be right, but it could also be a dangerous mistake to make if it wasn't the makeup.

Deciding it was "makeup" is also a problem, because "makeup" is a huge, broad category that won't help her prevent this from happening in the future. She will need to determine if it was the makeup and that which part of it gave her the reaction. If it was the makeup, it wasn't "the makeup," it was in ingredient or combination of ingredients. She should note what those are and then see if reactions occur from other items with the same ingredients.

I get bad reactions from a variety of products and have to pay careful attention to narrow down which ingredient(s) they have in common so that I can look for ingredients to avoid, not just makeup or exfoliating products. It's not fun, but knowing which ingredients to avoid is important.

Again, based on the reaction, I question the actual cause and encourage you to do more research before assuming it was the makeup. I would hate for her to later discover it was a food allergy and wind up with a much more serious reaction because it was assumed the makeup was the cause. Take her to an allergist and get her tested for food and other allergies.

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter doesn't wear make up, but this sounds like what she would do, when she use to eat fruit.

She started getting allergy shots about a year ago, and it is better. There was a time, she couldn't even eat an apple, without horribly breaking out. She went to an allergist, started getting shots. Anyway, she can eat fruit now, and doesn't break out near as bad.

When she was younger, she could eat fruit no problem. Its weird how we can develop allergies to common foods over time.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I had a similar reaction to a drug I was taking for arthritis.   Was cooking and felt strange,  looked in a mirror and didn't recognize myself because my face was so distorted and swollen.   Called my doctor who told me to immediately go to the ER.   There's always a chance your throat will swell shut.   They gave me drugs and kept me for several hours,  but even with Prednisone it took a week for my face to return to normal.   I had been taking the drug about 6 weeks at that point. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with Toppers3. I have developed allergies to things after using them for a while. It happens with some things. One big problem for me is hair dye. I can use a brand for several months, and then I have an allergic reaction and I can't use it any more. It has happened with medication that way, also.

Valued Contributor

I totally agree with the people here saying to get her to an allergist. Every attack gets worse so please, please make sure you know what it is! I had several bad reactions and we discovered it is lunch meats, hot dogs. Mostly the nitrates and preservatives.

cookin

Honored Contributor

Has she been near a golf course or has a neighbor had lawn service. This happened to my father and it was caused by pesticide that had been sprayed to kill weeds.

Honored Contributor

So sorry this happened.

Just adding, that it's likely not 'the make up' but a particular ingredient she's developed an intolerance to.

After years I suddenly became unable to tolerate anything containing propylene glycol.  I'd dig a bit deeper to find out exactly what it is.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Any change of laundry detergents/fabric softeners/sheets?  Some of the houses we pass by have been having such strong odors, we practically 'pass out' just walking by.  Seriously, I'd be de*d if I had to sleep in one of those homes overnight.  Try to recall if anything related to laundering and/or sheets/pillow cases has been 'new' or changed.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

This happened with a friend of mine too. Blew up like a balloon and spotty rashes over her body. She saw an allergist and found out she was allergic to black pepper which she has used most of her adult life. It could something so simple like that. I would have her see an allergist.

Respected Contributor

I've had many allergic reactions that sound similar, to a lot of frosted or shiny shadows. I used to react to the toluene and formaldehyde in nail polishes also, back before we were aware that they were bad. Now most don't include those ingredients. Hydrocortisone Valerate cream cleared my eyelid rashes right up. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )