Honored Contributor

I hardly ever remember  my dreams, and if I do they fade quickly.  Last night I had a real nightmare that involved my former job. I was due at another hospital about 1/2 hour away, and for some reason I couldn't get get there. I'll skip the gory details, but I can't shake it. I'm retired, so it doesn't make any sense that this feeling of dread won't go away. Have you had this experience ? I'm trying to keep busy, but it seems to follow me around. 🥺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1   It was a bad dream that left you with negative feelings.

Negative feelings are not prophecy.

Bad dreams are scary but there could be many  reasons why that dream was set off by something you saw, read, or thought about during the day.

I look at a bad dream as "Wow where did that come from" and let it be.

You'll be fine.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I had a FOREIGN LANGUAGE dream in the early a.m. hours today.   Never had that happen before...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I am curious about your experience.   I have nightmares almost every night.   In fact I had one last night.   In most of them I am lost, either in a building or in a city.  Some are violent but I've cut way back on reading or watching anything that might trigger violence in my dreams, including the news

The dreams I have of deceased loved ones seem to linger in my mind the next day.   I have those dreams because I miss them.    The dreams are bittersweet, but I don't consider them nightmares although they are bizarre.

The random dreams I just try to forget them.   I don't know or care the meaning, I'm just trying to live in the here & now.  Any dream I have that wakes me in the middle of the night with anxiety is what I call a nightmare, even if the dream would not be considered horrible

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1   Dreams. are a gift.  There are no filters on your subconscious.  Time to reflect and learn about yourself.  There is nothing to fear.  Sometimes things that appear negative can be a positive...i,e, a death or loss of job/retirement can be a gateway to the birth of a long awaited change in your life.  

Only you can interpret your dreams. (You might want to keep a journal and write down your dreams in the future...quickly after awakening without judgement or concern for grammar.)  The dream that you had has now had time for your mind to alter and shift the  contents.  Dreams are an opportunity to learn more about yourself, then you have the ability to choose and act upon that knowledge.  Being aware of your shadows gives you the opportunity to live your life more fully in the present..  

Be creative and open to looking at your dream from different perspectives.  Enjoy that you had this experience....welcome it...having more insight is a powerful tool and opportunity for change and knowledge.

Honored Contributor

@software , I ordinarily don't give my dreams a second thought, but this one was disturbing because I couldn't fulfill my responsibilities and was fired. I tried so hard to get where I needed to be to no avail. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I have recurring bad dreams about being late or absent from work and then I get in trouble. I'm also a retired medical professional and being late or absent is not something good for the job and can get you suspended or fired. I feared that happening to me even though I was never late or absent...I was just concerned of that happening to anyone b/c I've seen it happen more than once to some of my co-workers. 

When I wake up from those kinds of dreams I feel horrible and the feeling lasts too long into my day. I hate it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have recurring bad dreams about being late or absent from work and then I get in trouble. I'm also a retired medical professional and being late or absent is not something good for the job and can get you suspended or fired. I feared that happening to me even though I was never late or absent...I was just concerned of that happening to anyone b/c I've seen it happen more than once to some of my co-workers. 

When I wake up from those kinds of dreams I feel horrible and the feeling lasts too long into my day. I hate it.

@SilleeMee , Thank you for your response. You get how responsible you feel in a hospital setting.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Bad dreams are scary but there could be many  reasons why that dream was set off by something you saw, read, or thought about during the day.

You'll be fine.

Why do you have to be so dismissive of how other people are feeling at that particular moment?   The OP never said she wasn't going to be fine.  She's coming here to share her thoughts and feelings.  

You are really something else...

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

You'll be fine.

Why do you have to be so dismissive of how other people are feeling at that particular moment?   The OP never said she wasn't going to be fine.  She's coming here to share her thoughts and feelings.  

You are really something else...

@Bri369   I did not get "dismissive" at all in @Cakers3 post.

I thought it was thoughtful and well intentioned.

Amazing how we all interpret things differently.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF