Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Covid Winter

[ Edited ]

We live in Hurricane Alley, so stocking up is second nature.  Just adding a bit more paper products, and cleaners.  

Today I found Clorox, Lysol spray, and Lysol Hand wipes.  Who knew they could be  so exciting?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@chessylady  Paper products and cleaning products have started making regular appearances on our grocery store shelves. I think the supplies will be available.

Also, we were in Lancaster on Saturday, and things are in full swing. Kitchen Kettle in Intercourse was packed! Cars were overflowing into the surrounding fields. I'm hopeful things are returning to "normal."

@PA Mom-mom That's exactly why I am stocking up.  Numbers are shooting up and I believe will.  Deaths are apparently going down, but still I think shortages will crop up.  Why not be somewhat prepared? 

Honored Contributor

No.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@chessylady  Paper products and cleaning products have started making regular appearances on our grocery store shelves. I think the supplies will be available.

Also, we were in Lancaster on Saturday, and things are in full swing. Kitchen Kettle in Intercourse was packed! Cars were overflowing into the surrounding fields. I'm hopeful things are returning to "normal."

@PA Mom-mom That's exactly why I am stocking up.  Numbers are shooting up and I believe will.  Deaths are apparently going down, but still I think shortages will crop up.  Why not be somewhat prepared? 

@Sooner  Unfortunately, deaths are not going down, they just lag new cases and hospitalizations by a few weeks.  The death count today was over 1000 nationally. 

ITA with you, as cases rise globally and restrictions are put back into place to a certain degree, some things will not be as readily available as they usually are.   I used to have no stock pile, but now have about a month or two of supplies.  

Honored Contributor

I read this online a day or two ago:

"The University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation released this week and they paint a bleak picture of the coming months: A surge in cases will create "enormous pressure on hospital capacity" and deaths will reach nearly 2,200 per day sometime in January."

Folks can Google the U of W for more info...

That rate of death is about double of what it was this past high rate/#'s we've experienced nationwide daily already.

This reminds me of what I read about the Spanish Flu history 1918-1920...the 2nd wave being much deadlier. Folks can Google wiki to read that info too.

It's gonna be a long hard winter...

We are thankfully prepared and stocked up on a lot of our staples before the prices rise again or they become totally unavailable. Seeing how stores are already havng difficulty getting particular products back in stock, we have learned which ones to make sure we have enough of for the two of us.

Esteemed Contributor

Our basement looks like a Kroger warehouse.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Covid Winter

[ Edited ]

Terrible situation in Europe.  The COVID19 is in a midst of a reassurance.  Lock downs every day now.  Enforced curfews. Starting at 6PM. Young and younger people are getting it, but most deaths in that group are very low. I don't think we can enforce a situation like that in the U.S.  People would riot. 

I have an old style dressing room adjacent to our bedroom.  It's used as a closet, but right now paper products (paper towels, TP, cleaning supplies, etc) are in competition with the clothes.  I have them stacked.

Esteemed Contributor

No. We're well set here. We stock up for weather, not COVID.Never did stock up earlier this spring, and we still managed to get through as needed. Now watch people  start hoarding because of panic. News like this only causes more problems. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

No stocking up going on here.  I have always kept a pantry, but I have no more or less than I have had in the past 40 years.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

These predictions are being made by which experts???

More media driven panic broadcasting. Makes me so mad I could spit