Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch  Do you mind telling us which state you live in?  Seems the availability of many items is uneven and depends on where you live.

And yes, I feel if things don't deteriorate eeverything I've stocked up on will get used.  I just want some sense of security and not get into having to fall in to panic mode down the road.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

This past weekend, I just happened to have a conversation with the manager of one of our largest Kroger stores here.  He is the son of someone I know.  After speaking with him, I might change some of what I had planned for the fall.

According to him, the store is running anywhere between 35-40% out of stock at any given time.  There are still some real challenges in the supply line due to covid.  Evidently many food production companies are not totally back up to pre-pandemic operation and won't be with the physical distancing requirements and trying to keep employees separated.  

Adding to the challenge according to him, is that companies are still being impacted by employees contracting covid, being off work, and still causing others around that employee to have to quarantine.  So at any given time decreased production can drop due to those circumstances without warning.  

He also explained that many companies might have something like 15-20 different products in their line, but most major companies are focusing on only running production for their top 6-7 products.  He gave an example of TV dinners, instead of producing the entire line they are focusing on only producing maybe 6 or 7 different choices.  

He did affirm that demand for groceries is still well above normal pre-pandemic times and attributed that to so many people working from home and a large number of school aged children that are at home doing online school.  

This all came from me just asking him about when we might see manicotti pasta here again.  Woman Very Happy    

@pitdakota    LOL

@Cakers3, I know!!!!!  LOL!!!  But he was trying to be so helpful.  Of course, I might have asked a few questions during conversation too.  LOL!  Bottom line, give up on the manicotti for a while.  DH will just have to suffer.  lol 

@pitdakota.  If lasagne noodles are available you could do roll ups.  Cook the noodles, spread the manicotti filling on the noodles, roll them up and bake.  With sauce, of course😊

Honored Contributor

Probably the food delivery services might get jammed as they did when the pandemic started.  I remember I got blocked from Amazon Fresh and then had to switch to Instacart.  I remember a few times trying to get an available slot in Instatcart.  But finally able to.

This winter will be one of quite a few more winters.  Don't see this going away anytime soon.  And I still don't see any vaccine this year or next year as a matter of fact.  I had originally thought this would last till 2022.  Might be longer then that. 

Trusted Contributor

No. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

This past weekend, I just happened to have a conversation with the manager of one of our largest Kroger stores here.  He is the son of someone I know.  After speaking with him, I might change some of what I had planned for the fall.

According to him, the store is running anywhere between 35-40% out of stock at any given time.  There are still some real challenges in the supply line due to covid.  Evidently many food production companies are not totally back up to pre-pandemic operation and won't be with the physical distancing requirements and trying to keep employees separated.  

Adding to the challenge according to him, is that companies are still being impacted by employees contracting covid, being off work, and still causing others around that employee to have to quarantine.  So at any given time decreased production can drop due to those circumstances without warning.  

He also explained that many companies might have something like 15-20 different products in their line, but most major companies are focusing on only running production for their top 6-7 products.  He gave an example of TV dinners, instead of producing the entire line they are focusing on only producing maybe 6 or 7 different choices.  

He did affirm that demand for groceries is still well above normal pre-pandemic times and attributed that to so many people working from home and a large number of school aged children that are at home doing online school.  

This all came from me just asking him about when we might see manicotti pasta here again.  Woman Very Happy    

@pitdakota    LOL

@Cakers3, I know!!!!!  LOL!!!  But he was trying to be so helpful.  Of course, I might have asked a few questions during conversation too.  LOL!  Bottom line, give up on the manicotti for a while.  DH will just have to suffer.  lol 

@pitdakota.  If lasagne noodles are available you could do roll ups.  Cook the noodles, spread the manicotti filling on the noodles, roll them up and bake.  With sauce, of course😊

Hi @tansy !  Good idea!  I may have to try that eventually.  After all, I think that is how some of the really good recipes and dishes in the past came to be.  They had to improvise and make due with what they had on hand at the time.  

Hope you are doing well. Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 I'm in central Texas.  As I mentioned, I haven't had much difficulty shopping after things began to settle following the initial hoarding panic. So I was a little surprised with my last grocery trip. 

Many areas in TX are currently virus hot spots, not predicted to improve anytime soon. In fact, we're warned it may get much worse. That's going to affect grocery shelves again. 

Product availability is likely to be affected by challenging working and transport conditions, when so many are testing positive for the virus. Not only locally for us, but out of state suppliers, too, since the entire country is seeing increases in positive cases and hospitalizations.

Some supplies will likely slow down for a bit, while others may stop for an extended period through this uptick.  We'll have to see, but it looks like it's going to be a long, difficult winter.  

I don't think we need to panic, but stocking up will add to our sense of security and lessen the stress load.  

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch   Thanks for the reply.  Yes, we'll all have to just do the best we can for as long as we have to.  I'm sure all the industries and their employees are doing their best too.

Hope all the hot spots drop down quickly.  It is so difficult at times to remain patient.  

Your state has always intrigued me.  I hope to visit someday.  I had a boss that visited Austin for a week long convention and she came back just so enthused about the area and its culture that it was infectious.  

Had another friend, much younger than I am, that actually relocated there for a couple of years because of the vibrant art and music scene.  She returned to the East coast only because she missed the ocean and wanted to complete a long interrupted college degree.

Best to you,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

No not stocking up on anything.  I'm good.  Plenty of stores around me that have plenty of choices.  I'm in Virginia   I have not felt the need to "panic" buy.  And I am sure all those that have the small Costco cities in their homes will indeed eventually use all the items they have purchased.  If you don't shop then that's a good alternative for you.  I shop so it's not a problem for me.  Even if we get a major winter storm it's only a matter of a short time before the roads are clear on top of which I have a jeep that has yet to meet a storm it didn't love lol.  I think they need to modify that reality show on hoarders to be pandemic stockpilers.  Understand I'm only teasing those that have stockpiled large quantities of various items. it's all good.  You need to do what you feel makes you feel safe and comfortable.  Those that are not, really do understand the various issues and reasons for your doing so. Everyone is different and we need to understand and be more tolerant of that.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

These predictions are being made by which experts???

It's already here, @CrazyDaisy. Isn't everyone aware that the virus is surging in a large swath of the country?

We've seen the the highest daily counts since the pandemic began.

Glad to see your crystal ball is all changed up and you know what is going to be happening months from now.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what's in our near future unless people change what they're doing.