Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Predictions are that this will be a bad Covid winter with more cases/ deaths. Are you stocking up to facilitate sheltering in place?

@chessylady 

What would I need to stock up on? I don’t want to be parting of a needless hoarding movement similar to what people caused months ago. I probably have about 2-3 weeks supply of food in my freezer. Probably two.

I am still required to come to work 5 days a week. I live in Florida (land of denial and “we will never close anything ever again”) so I don’t see working at home again becoming an option. I will just keep doing what I am doing for now - ordering what I need for grocery pickup. 

Honored Contributor

I counted this morning and I have 92 rolls of toilet paper.  I live alone.

Before anyone shouts "hoarder", this is the full supply I've always kept. I have a place where I store it and when the space is full, no more.

I am also fully stocked on paper towels, Kleenex, detergent, batteries, shampoo, etc. All that kind of stuff.  

Food wise, I am not a big cook, especially for just me, but I wouldn't starve for a few weeks.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I counted this morning and I have 92 rolls of toilet paper.  I live alone.

Before anyone shouts "hoarder", this is the full supply I've always kept. I have a place where I store it and when the space is full, no more.

I am also fully stocked on paper towels, Kleenex, detergent, batteries, shampoo, etc. All that kind of stuff.  

Food wise, I am not a big cook, especially for just me, but I wouldn't starve for a few weeks.  

I have practically a year's worth of TP. You're not alone. I get a commercial case of it from Amazon now and am very happy about it. One thing people can't say about me is that I never learn from my mistakes.

(And everybody else, just ignore the taunting. We all know what it's about.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

There seems to be coming a time when it will wise to stay in.  Just to keep away from people.  I have about 3 months worth.  

Honored Contributor

We always live a prepared lifestyle, but stocked up even more so in February when it was beginning to look like things might go south. 

Spent all summer and fall continuing to replace the things we used, and fill in gaps we were low on, as well as getting my mom well stocked and to some extent, my adult son as well. 

Because of an elderly mom with some compromised conditions, I have really not participated in much this entire year, and she and I are 'locking down' again beginning now. She will pretty much go nowhere all winter, and I am trying to get back to just hitting the bank drive through, the post office drive through, the pharmacy drive through, and hit the stores once every two to three weeks, and very early in the morning.

Husband still has to go to work everyday, and that is as much exposure to the virus as I want to have considering I have to interact with my mom on a regular basis. 

I follow several groups that deal with stocking up, home canning, frugal lifestyles etc. and so many people are stocking up for all kinds of reasons. Covid, winter weather, election upheaval, flu season, possible shutdowns again, as well as all the personal reasons people do it. Many people are joining the groups as doing this for the first time. Kind of hard to find peope who aren't doing it to some extent or another.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Always keep some coin along with paper money.

We've already seen how some businesses didn't give change back or rounded up puchase to even $$ amounts.

Learned a long, long time ago when hit with a hurricane back home-small bills and coins.

I've always been a small bills and change girl as well. It has always been handy when hitting small stores early in the morning and they don't open up with a lot of money in the registers, for shopping at garage sales, and for buying from kids selling door to door, or at bake sales etc. 

I've continued and expanded the amount of cash on hand in small bills and change. And I'm sanitizing it when I get home from the bank. Money is so dirty anyway, this virus gave me the push to start to clean up the cash before storing away, and I'm pretty sure I will continue to do this from here on out, regardless of this particular virus getting under control.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Covid Winter

[ Edited ]

I pretty much home for about 10 days at a time....go to the store....then home for another 10 days. I will not change, I think this is strict enough.

Many on this thread sound like they are panicking which will cause hoarding and shortages....Just stop that! 

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

This past weekend, I just happened to have a conversation with the manager of one of our largest Kroger stores here.  He is the son of someone I know.  After speaking with him, I might change some of what I had planned for the fall.

According to him, the store is running anywhere between 35-40% out of stock at any given time.  There are still some real challenges in the supply line due to covid.  Evidently many food production companies are not totally back up to pre-pandemic operation and won't be with the physical distancing requirements and trying to keep employees separated.  

Adding to the challenge according to him, is that companies are still being impacted by employees contracting covid, being off work, and still causing others around that employee to have to quarantine.  So at any given time decreased production can drop due to those circumstances without warning.  

He also explained that many companies might have something like 15-20 different products in their line, but most major companies are focusing on only running production for their top 6-7 products.  He gave an example of TV dinners, instead of producing the entire line they are focusing on only producing maybe 6 or 7 different choices.  

He did affirm that demand for groceries is still well above normal pre-pandemic times and attributed that to so many people working from home and a large number of school aged children that are at home doing online school.  

This all came from me just asking him about when we might see manicotti pasta here again.  Woman Very Happy    

@pitdakota    LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

This past weekend, I just happened to have a conversation with the manager of one of our largest Kroger stores here.  He is the son of someone I know.  After speaking with him, I might change some of what I had planned for the fall.

According to him, the store is running anywhere between 35-40% out of stock at any given time.  There are still some real challenges in the supply line due to covid.  Evidently many food production companies are not totally back up to pre-pandemic operation and won't be with the physical distancing requirements and trying to keep employees separated.  

Adding to the challenge according to him, is that companies are still being impacted by employees contracting covid, being off work, and still causing others around that employee to have to quarantine.  So at any given time decreased production can drop due to those circumstances without warning.  

He also explained that many companies might have something like 15-20 different products in their line, but most major companies are focusing on only running production for their top 6-7 products.  He gave an example of TV dinners, instead of producing the entire line they are focusing on only producing maybe 6 or 7 different choices.  

He did affirm that demand for groceries is still well above normal pre-pandemic times and attributed that to so many people working from home and a large number of school aged children that are at home doing online school.  

This all came from me just asking him about when we might see manicotti pasta here again.  Woman Very Happy    

I will agree, and have spoken to several people in the grocery supply chain, and all these factors are definitely still in play. 

As most shelves have refilled to looking almost normal in stores, I think many people are under the impression we are close to being 'back to normal', and we are really far from it. Better, but not back. 

I know if you look really closely, many products are moved to the front, with lots of gaps in the shelves behind the front row or two of stock. 

I made a grocery run today, as the first of the month is coming, and in our area, stores are empty once the first of the month checks and benefits hit people's accounts. I never have liked shopping during the first five to ten days of the month, and it's exponentially worse now.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.