Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota, Thank you for sharing that information.  

We are quite well fixed in our home and hoping all will be well with everyone.  

Esteemed Contributor

I suppose if I had a basement or a lot of closet space I could truly stock up. But since I don't, I buy what I have room for related to household items. Things have improved greatly (IMO) from the way it was in March, and I choose to believe that supplies will continue to be in better supply than what we experienced earlier this year.

Those who can and want to stock up with supplies for months can obviously do that. The one and only thing that I ever ran out of was Lysol Wipes (a couple of weeks ago). I'm not going to panic, but I will continue to be careful, and will buy small supplies of items as I need them....I continue to make a weekly run to my local grocers. If you disagree with me, that's fine. We all have opinions, but I don't believe that an entire country needs to "shelter in place".

Honored Contributor

WV cases are rising dramatically each day.   My county numbers are way above what I ever thought they'd be.   My husbands friend notified us yesterday he tested positive; his exposure likely came from adult children carrying it home from work.   

October is the month I usually start stocking my house for winter, but this year I've never stopped.   Every shopping trip means buying as many of the basic items we use as I can find in stock.  My trip last week was the best shopping experience since March, but the store is still not at 100%.    

I cook for 2-6 people every day, including the food I take to my 86 year old mom.   If the 4 of us have to quarantine, I've tried to insure that everything we would need is in this house, including 100 lbs of dog food.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I read an article yesterday about how grocery stores are stocking up on items that might be in short supply. They are filling their warehouses in case production slows.  I hope so.

I am pretty set.  I always have enough food and supplies to last for several months.  Right now I am baking and making soup and other items to freeze for when I don't feel like cooking.  I do that every few months.

Right now I have to use up some packages of  turkey packed in gravy...then I can make a fresh batch for this winter.

I did make a store run yesterday and bought some canned corn.   I read an article that said it will be in short supply this winter.  If so, I have a few extra cans in stock. Anyhow, it won't go to waste.

We always keep a stash of cash in our home safe....that is part of our preparedness plan.

@Carmie 

Did they say that just canned corn would be in short supply, or other forms of corn, too? I don't buy canned corn, but now I'm wondering if I need to stock up on popcorn.  Gotta have my favorite snack.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags   The article only mentioned canned corn.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Carmie !  Now that it's on my mind, I might pick up a few extra bags just in case.  I remember it took a while for plain bagged popcorn to reappear on  grocery shelves after the initial Spring shortages.  I guess I'm not the only one with a popcorn habit, lol.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Covid Winter

[ Edited ]

We have already stayed home or close to home since March. I see no reason to change at this point. Still too many people sick out there and I don’t want to be around them, whether it’s COVID or anything else contagious. I am not buying into the gloom and doom reports that trigger panic and hoarding, but I have always stayed well-stocked on the essentials and will add to what we need to have on hand if I see something is available. I am confident DH and I can survive the winter without canned corn. Can't remember the last time I bought it or used it.

Respected Contributor

I usually keep about 6 months stock of canned goods, paper products, and cat food.  I will take inventory soon and top off my supply.

We may have a situation this winter that so many deaths will cause shortages--trouble with production and supply chain.

I wonder if some states will fare better and some worse since human behavior spreads the virus.

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Thanks @Carmie !  Now that it's on my mind, I might pick up a few extra bags just in case.  I remember it took a while for plain bagged popcorn to reappear on  grocery shelves after the initial Spring shortages.  I guess I'm not the only one with a popcorn habit, lol.

—————

OK adding a jar of Orville Redenbacher to my list 😀

Trusted Contributor

We've already been seeing some meat shortages at the supermarkets near us so this weekend we purchased a small freezer (and it was the last one available at our local Home Depot).  We made a BJ's run and filled it up with chicken and seafood.

We are not the type to stock up on things but after seeing a bunch of shortages lately we decided it was worth it. We have been seeing some shortages lately on a lot of random things that we normally buy.  

One thing this pandemic has done is made me much more cognizant of being wasteful.  I still am very careful to use the minimum sheets of toilet paper that I need even though there's plenty available at the stores.  I guess that's one of the few positives to come out of all of this.