Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thank you, @Laura14

I hope there will be some word on the man's condition - everyone in the area is upset about this. Some people know who he is, but have not given out his name (rightfully so) or his condition if they know it. By all accounts, great guy, nice family. Such a shame. And the poor woman - if I'd been in her shoes I might have been hysterical too.

I just hope things go as smoothly as possible for me now. Fingers crossed.

@Moonchilde  Not sure who the insurance is but I had State Farm.  They were wonderful and even had the repair shop drive me to the car rental place.   Never dealt with the other driver who rear ended me and had one phone call with the insurance company who apologized and then dealt with the shop for my repairs directly. Took about two weeks.  Hope you have just as pleasant an experience as you can while you are waiting to be made whole again.  

Honored Contributor

So far, better than I'd anticipated. There's someone coming to evaluate my car tomorrow morning.  After that I can get the ball rolling as far as a body shop.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  I had an accident in 2003, hit a deer late at night on IH-40 in Oklahoma and did $6,000 in damage to my 3mo old SUV.  My insurance company, USAA, told me where the car would be repaired and the place sent a wrecker to pick it tho it was drivable.  They arranged for a rental car, and my car was quickly repaired.  They did a great job.  I had to pay the $100. deductible.  Don't get too wound up about parts and garages as you may have no choice.  I didn't have to get estimates. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde what a horrible experience,glad things seems to be moving on your car repair.  We never know what a day will bring do we?  A friend of mine was hit by a man having a,diabetic episode. He had no insurance. She was in the hospital for a week with a leg broken badly. She has to spend 2 weeks in a rehab place. With a teenage son at home its a nightmare for her. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Moonchilde  I had an accident in 2003, hit a deer late at night on IH-40 in Oklahoma and did $6,000 in damage to my 3mo old SUV.  My insurance company, USAA, told me where the car would be repaired and the place sent a wrecker to pick it tho it was drivable.  They arranged for a rental car, and my car was quickly repaired.  They did a great job.  I had to pay the $100. deductible.  Don't get too wound up about parts and garages as you may have no choice.  I didn't have to get estimates. 

@Kachina624, my ins co has already said I can take it anywhere I want to for repairs. If there's a big discrepancy between the ins co estimate and the repair shop, they said the repair shop talks to them and they discuss it. I don't think they have a recommended shop in my area. I also have a choice with rental - I can arrange my own or the garage I'll take it to has a thing going with Hertz (though I'd rather go with Enterprise, who pick you up and drop you off wherever).

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@Moonchilde what a horrible experience,glad things seems to be moving on your car repair.  We never know what a day will bring do we?  A friend of mine was hit by a man having a,diabetic episode. He had no insurance. She was in the hospital for a week with a leg broken badly. She has to spend 2 weeks in a rehab place. With a teenage son at home its a nightmare for her. 

Wow, what a shame, @MoJoV  At least I know the woman whose car hit me has insurance. But I hope for my sake there's no lawsuit against Lexus that would hold up me getting my deductible back.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

I'm grateful you are OK.  Heart

Sorry about your car, I was in a life threatening accident 2 years ago where my car and 2 others were totaled, but cars can be fixed or replaced, you can not.  Never the less it sticks with you.  Know it's time, hassle, and maybe expense, but still, you are ok.  Hope the person who tried to help and the driver are also.

Every time I have to drive near that area I start to shake.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

So sorry to hear @MoonchildeI would be very upset as well. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I certainly sympathize. Last week my husband was returning from his eye doctor's appointment. He didn't see a car coming when he entered the intersection. He hit the other car on the passenger side. Fortunately, there were no passengers. My husband's car sustained a great deal of damage but thankfully nobody was hurt. My husband was able to rent a car for the two weeks needed to repair his car. We also have, or I should say HAD, my car. Yesterday, the check-engine light appeared so we have an appointment with our mechanic tomorrow. I will not ask what more can happen because I'm afraid I'll find out,

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Moonchilde

I'm grateful you are OK.  Heart

Sorry about your car, I was in a life threatening accident 2 years ago where my car and 2 others were totaled, but cars can be fixed or replaced, you can not.  Never the less it sticks with you.  Know it's time, hassle, and maybe expense, but still, you are ok.  Hope the person who tried to help and the driver are also.

Every time I have to drive near that area I start to shake.

I was in an accident about 15 years ago where my car was totaled (partly because it was older). I was mid-intersection on a yellow light (turned yellow when I was already halfway across 6 lanes) and a guy jumped the light. Hit me broadside. Witnesses put him at fault. Fortunately, not hard enough to seriously injure me, but I was told (belatedly) I had a mild concussion. 

And yes, I never failed to think of the accident when I drove through there for the next 14 years - I had to pass there every day.