Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I certainly sympathize. Last week my husband was returning from his eye doctor's appointment. He didn't see a car coming when he entered the intersection. He hit the other car on the passenger side. Fortunately, there were no passengers. My husband's car sustained a great deal of damage but thankfully nobody was hurt. My husband was able to rent a car for the two weeks needed to repair his car. We also have, or I should say HAD, my car. Yesterday, the check-engine light appeared so we have an appointment with our mechanic tomorrow. I will not ask what more can happen because I'm afraid I'll find out,

Nerve-wracking all around. After the accident I described that I had, I made sure all subsequent cars had rental insurance. My deductible is higher than ideal because I felt the rental ins was more important.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Things progress.  My car's been looked at and photographed. The adjuster (not the guy who was here) will contact me by Friday or Monday with the $$ estimate.  The body shop would prefer I don't come in until I have the estimate, so I have an appt next Tues and hope to have it then. Going to keep on top of all this so I can get it in ASAP. New driver's side doors and rear fender repair. Could be worse I guess.

Respected Contributor

@ Moonchilde, iit could be worse-so much worse. You could have been in the car, but you weren't....

I don't mean to sound trite: you know you have my sympathy.....but I feel so bad for the Lexus owner.....I have a feeling she's not going to get over this any time soon no matter what happens to the man.....It was all a horrible accident that I would like to think she had no control over, but I wasn't there.....imagine how many times she will have to recount this story and relive the horror...

Once again, as you said, things could be worse.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

The daughter of the man who was hit reached out to me on FB in a PM. She said he's still in critical condition.

The woman was completely hysterical and devastated. She was kneeling next to the victim from the moment she got out of her car until until the paramedics arrived.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde~~~I am glad the man's daughter reached out to you, but so sorry this poor guy is still in what sounds like very bad shape. 

Like others have said, my heart goes out to the lady as well.  She will probably be traumatized for a long, long time. 

Prayers for all~~~

Respected Contributor

While I certainly feel for the driver - if, in fact, her car malfunctioned in some way, I do wonder if she will be in jeopardy of a lawsuit from the family of the man who was run over.  Was she totally unable to steer the car?  Why did she get out of the car while it was still running?  If the brakes failed, could she have driven into another car to stop - which is ultimately what happened anyway - but tragically after he was run over.

Not blaming her because clearly she panicked, but I'm sure they are questions that will come up if she is sued.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

While I certainly feel for the driver - if, in fact, her car malfunctioned in some way, I do wonder if she will be in jeopardy of a lawsuit from the family of the man who was run over.  Was she totally unable to steer the car?  Why did she get out of the car while it was still running?  If the brakes failed, could she have driven into another car to stop - which is ultimately what happened anyway - but tragically after he was run over.

Not blaming her because clearly she panicked, but I'm sure they are questions that will come up if she is sued.

There are no answers to this until next week when the police report becomes available. It kind of pizzes me off that I'll have to pay for the police report, because - without it I have no info on the driver, nor does my insurance co. Under normal accident circumstances I would get all info from her, but in these injury cases, not possible. So I have to pay $10 to get info that is legally mandatory for me to have - no choice. That doesn't seem legal to me. But the officer would not give me her info. "Wait for the police report."

If what I heard at the scene turns out to be stated in the police report, the woman claimed she did not have control of her car, which is why she was screaming for help in the first place. And then apparently from my understanding at this point without the report, she thought her car was in neutral, but it wasn't, it moved/jumped(?) and hit the man coming to help her. And hit him hard - fractured skull, punctured liver, multiple broken bones, hemorrhaging. 

As was pointed out earlier in the thread by others, Lexus SUVs have a history of brake and out-of-control issues. I'm sure the woman's insurance co will have that car gone over with a fine-toothed comb looking for evidence it was the car, not her. If it was the car, everyone sues Lexus. If not, yes, everyone sues the driver.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Afternoon

[ Edited ]

If the woman has liability coverage, everyone will be paid by her insurance company to the limits of her policy.  And hopefully that man has medical insurance to help with his expenses as well.  

I have been in this woman's shoes.  By the grace of God, my car rolled down a steep hill  with the emergency brake on and hit nothing.  I still shake a bit even remembering it.  Your life is changing in an instant before your eyes and there is literally nothing you can do to undo it or to make it better.

I hope that man recovers swiftly and everyone is able to made whole through the insurance so that all can move on from something no one ever intended to happen that day.  

@Moonchilde  So glad you have the ball rolling.  Sounds like you are well on your way to getting your car back.  

Respected Contributor

@

Oh my!

I am glad you are okay Moonchilde!

Respected Contributor

Glad you weren't in your car or getting out of it when she hit it. Your car was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Glad you are safe. Hope the man will be ok and recover from the injuries. I am sure the woman is very upset her car went out of control. Things happen all the time and there is nothing we can do about it. God has a plan and there is no rhyme or reason for things like this. Hope your car gets fixed soon and that you don't have to pay anything. Some auto body shops will waive your $500 deductible and work with the insurance company directly.